Electric Motor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm thinking of building a small electric tractor/tow rig for the shop, and wondered how much power I actually need to pull a car around. I have a 1/2 HP motor off my mom's old washing machine, also rated at 120 volts, 60 hertz, and 8 amps. Sorry if that's redundant, I'm not well versed in electrics much beyond car batteries and alternators. Would this, powered by a heavy duty commercial battery, kept charged by a gas powered alternator, be enough power to pull a car around, such as a 60's impala?

A 120v motor! you would want to run via an inverter from the battery.

Anything is possible if you have enough gear reduction, and traction!

They make car pushers for shops, I have not really studied the internals but it is very obvious in use that they have very serious gear reduction.

120 v worth of batteries is going to be expensive and heavy...

OK see that's why I asked, because I didn't think about a power invertor. I have access to a small one person go kart that I thought would make a good chassis with some reinforcement work. I was thinking I could just link the motor to the existing go kart axle via a v belt, would that not work?

If I was going to build something like that I would use a 12 volt automotive starter motor. Lots of torque, and runs with just a regular car battery.

I just found out I don't have access to the go kart chassis anyway.
frown.gif
already sold.....but....homemade generator?

An AC motor is generally designed to operate only at one speed. DC motors will vary speed with voltage or load.

You'd be better off finding an old rototiller or something for $50 and turning that into a tug tractor.

We've always got junk we have to push around the shop. I don't like it as it's a hassle and I've been doing it for years. Time for a change.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Would a power steering sector work as a gear reduction unit?

Right after I posted that I realized that no, it wouldn't because the sector is limited lock to lock, and even if it wasn't, it would run out of itself before it made a full revolution.

I'm seconding the used riding mower. especially if there's a chain final drive where you can give it even shorter gearing.

electric motor with this kind of power is going to require a stout motor controller, solid gear reduction, and decent electronics in size large. it's going to cost, especially if you aren't sure what you are doing.

Finding a used electric pallet jack somewhere could be a smart move, however.

I'm pretty sure my old 300 kingquad would tug around a car on flat ground pretty easily. Suzuki made a bunch of 250 and 300cc quads in the 1980's to 2003 with a 3 range transfer case with a super low range. Arctic Cat's 300's used the same drivetrain until mid 2000's but didn't have a front diff lock. It's been the most reliable idiot proof vehicle I've owned anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back