Tips on a clean oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided in doing my own oil change and the last 2 times I had a mess. I use one of those Flo-tools. Any advice or tips for a clean oil change?

Get a large oil drain pan.
32953_LR.jpg

Put a large piece of cardboard down on the driveway under the drain pan.

Use latex gloves on your hands. Use a couple of blue auto paper towels to wipe up any messes, and to wipe the oil pan and oil filter area off.

I've been doing it this way for years and never make even the tiniest mess. Any spilled drops onto the cardboard can be wiped up with a paper towel. I save the cardboard and reuse it.

My Honda's filter is in a place where oil will drain and get all over everything. I use a Pig Form a Funnel to direct flow. Works great. Tarp under my oil pan works great also.

So NH73, where is the mess being created and what vehicle are we talking about? Those two details will help ....

And bubbatime is right on....

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
You can also get a Mityvac and suck all the oil out.

+1. Using an oil extractor eliminates a lot of the mess, and eliminates the possibility of stripping the oil drain plug. If the filter is on the top of the car you don't even have to jack up the car and crawl under it. The only downside is you have to buy the extractor'

Originally Posted By: dgn
$70?? Ouch...i bought a funnel at walmart for $.99

yeah.. me too.. also went to the parts store and lowes. bought an aftermarket filler cap(Dorman or some such), and a pvc elbow.($12 total MAX)
drilled out the center of the cap, insert the elbow, and funnel, or just funnel, makes it much easier to "hit the hole" without spilling any.

Last edited:
All my vehicles in the past and now will create a bit of a mess. Those cross members under the oil filters just won't allow me to be really clean about them. Kitty litter helps to absorb those spills. Drop it on the spill and sweep up after the oil is absorbed.

I use a dollar store bucket as my catch can. The extra height prevents oil droplets from splashing out everywhere.
205400.jpg

Just Man Up! you will never have a clean oil change, in all my 50 yrs of doing all my own oil changes you will always get a mess, I use those big drain containers and plenty of paper towels, once the oil is changed I just back the car up and throw cat litter down and sweep it up. Nothing to it.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back