First OCI after changing to Maxlife ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
I've got no interest in wanting to block the oil filter, so will follow the recommended half OCI limits. If the relief valve in the oil filter fails after it blocks, it can blow the can apart during a cold start if you do not use German steel.
The same half OCI advice also applies to using a high detergent FS oil to clean up a sludge monster. It's one of the reason the Iffybrakecrashlube shops keep saying 3000 mile OCI's are best, which they are not.

Oh please, there are two relief valves in all GM engines. One internal to the oil filter that just by-passes the media and one internal for the pump or filter base. No one has "blown a can" in a USA engine in 40 years. Yeah, some racers have because they block all the reliefs and they are spinning big RPM with heavy oils. But not on a run of the mill street engine. Get real ...

Integral pressure relief valves are not used in many modern engines because they are not reliable. If the engine suffers from varnish or sludge the valve sticks. Better to use a more expensive oil filter with it's own valve.

Last edited:
]Integral pressure relief valves are not used in many modern engines because they are not reliable. If the engine suffers from varnish or sludge the valve sticks. Better to use a more expensive oil filter with it's own valve.

I'm sorry, what? With many cars finally shifting to cartridge filters, there are more internal pressure relief and anti-drainback valves than ever before.

Yeah - have a look at the "1.8T Oil Pressure Survival Guide" ... looks like plenty of valves and the chart shows the bypass in graphic representation ...

Once again, reading is fundamental and you should reread the opening post.
The OP's vehicle has had regular oil changes since new.
It's therefore about as likely to have sludge as the sun is likely to rise in the western sky.
I've never heard of anyone using a borescope to look for sludge.
On this side of the pond, we'd just look down the oil fill and then remove a valve cover or drop the oil pan if indicated instead.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I've got no interest in wanting to block the oil filter, so will follow the recommended half OCI limits. If the relief valve in the oil filter fails after it blocks, it can blow the can apart during a cold start if you do not use German steel.

Lmao.

You are getting more ridiculous trying to get attention.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back