2017 Chevy Cruze LT (brief review)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rented a 2017 Cruze LT with the (all new) 1.4L turbo, fire breathing engine (just kidding, it's tuned for drive-ability and economy) . I liked it. It's a compact car, and it feels it, especially to the driver. However, it was very comfortable, has active noise cancelling and provides an excellent ride for this class of car. I achieved 32 MPG in typical city driving. Unfortunately, I did not spend much time on the highway, so I can't provide highway MPG. The car is, however, impressively quiet and well composed on both city and highway roads.

It's no secret I like turbocharged engines, and this one is a good one. It's tuned for economy so it's not going to pin you in the seat. But it never struggles, quite unlike other small engines in compact cars. It really has ample mid range torque and it's impossible to feel any form of lag. Furthermore, it seems to me that putting your foot into it does not result in a massive drop in economy. It simply does not make all that much power, therefore can't waste much gas.

I loved the ride, period. It's no sports car, not even close. But it is well composed, drives with accuracy and absolutely, positively does not feel or ride cheaply. Unlike much of the competition. It has no bad habits.

One thing, the audio system was not up to the standards I like. It worked, but was about all that I can say about it. An audiophile will not be pleased. Those that like listening to NPR news will be perfectly happy.

While this seems like serious praise, I temper my reviews by price. For the money, it's quite a nice compact car. And "if" I were in the market for a compact, I absolutely, positively would purchase this over much of the foreign competition. For the neat little engine, for the savings, and when compared to the Korean competition, for the better driving characteristics. For what ever reason, Korean cars and I don't get along. I dislike the way they drive.

However, the Altima is significantly bigger, almost as well refined and is also a pleasure to drive. Should I compare the two because MSRP is similar? Is it better than a new 4cyl Altima? I don't think so. HOWEVER, the Cruze LT is available for under $19K locally. Some are in the $17K range. Hard to beat prices like that for a nice little car.

Last edited:
Plus they have a new Hatchback version available with a manual. Not that I'm Mr. Manual guy but that seems like it might be a fun option. Kind of like a Sonic turbo manual that I've seen advertised for a song.

Did the auto start/ stop kick in? And if so, was it bothersome? This would be a protntial deal-breaker to me, especially as the system can't be disabled.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Plus they have a new Hatchback version available with a manual. Not that I'm Mr. Manual guy but that seems like it might be a fun option. Kind of like a Sonic turbo manual that I've seen advertised for a song.

I have seen those around town, very handsome vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Did the auto start/ stop kick in? And if so, was it bothersome? This would be a protntial deal-breaker to me, especially as the system can't be disabled.

Why? Start stop has been awesome used innvehucles ive driven over in Europe, as well as my hybrid.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Why? Start stop has been awesome used innvehucles ive driven over in Europe, as well as my hybrid.

I have yet to find a car where start&stop isn't annoying. I've driven Chevy Malibu, various BMWs and Audis with this system. On our Q5, I've disabled it. Maybe I'm just too picky and it's a matter of getting used to.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I have yet to find a car where start&stop isn't annoying. I've driven Chevy Malibu, various BMWs and Audis with this system. On our Q5, I've disabled it. Maybe I'm just too picky and it's a matter of getting used to.

VERY Annoying!
31.gif

Mine does not do it -but IIRC newer rentals I've grabbed have that go into neutral feel with engine on

Originally Posted By: MarcS
Altima has a CVT. Cruze wins by default

BITOGism.........

Did the auto start/ stop kick in? And if so, was it bothersome? This would be a potential deal-breaker to me, especially as the system can't be disabled.

Yes, incessantly. And very annoying at first, as it was cold, and I wanted heat. The heater blower goes to ultra-low when the engine shuts off. I quickly learned to double tap the brake pedal (as I stopped) and the engine would remain on.

However, the auto-stop feature was fairly fast to restart. As soon as my foot came off the brake, it restarted. So in the time it took my foot to get over to the accelerator, it was "ready". Yes, I could intentionally move fast enough to push down on the gas before it was fully running, but I had to be quick!

The no-heat on "auto stop" thing was really, really annoying at first. I apologize for not mentioning that in my review.

Last edited:

The new Altima CVT is an absolute pleasure to drive. It performs quite well for an enthusiast driver like me. And it does "shift", giving that classic feel and pleasant sound. Plus the latest variation of the CVT is a very reliable, very long lived and trouble free transmission.

I don't see a downside, at all.

There is a video on YouTube - mentioned "comfort" HVAC setting -think if you are going to sit at long light - you can do P instead of D ...There was a list in the video showing reasons it will not be in play ...
GM boy - does it have a fuse ?
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

The new Altima CVT is an absolute pleasure to drive. It performs quite well for an enthusiast driver like me. And it does "shift", giving that classic feel and pleasant sound. Plus the latest variation of the CVT is a very reliable, very long lived and trouble free transmission.

I don't see a downside, at all.

This is BITOG. All CVTs are bad. Crown Vics are the greatest cars ever made-Michelin are the best tires in the world- and 0w-20 oil is too thin.

My aunt rented one of these for the week when traveling for work a couple weeks ago. She really likes the car and it got great gas mileage, but she said the start-stop made it absolutely horrible. Couldn't stand it. If it didn't do the start-stop then she would have really liked it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My aunt rented one of these for the week when traveling for work a couple weeks ago. She really likes the car and it got great gas mileage, but she said the start-stop made it absolutely horrible. Couldn't stand it. If it didn't do the start-stop then she would have really liked it.

I can see that. Even so, I found that lifting my foot off the brake, as soon as stopped and re applying the brake prevents the engine from shutting off. It's a little "double tap" dance that comes easily and naturally after a day of driving this thing.

From that point of view, I was able to (without much thought at all) "choose" when I was willing to accept the shut off feature, and when I wanted the engine to run. I found that I wanted the engine off at times. Control is a good thing. But a clear way to disable it both temporarily and permanently would also be nice.

My neighbor owns a Cherokee with Start-Stop, i drove it a couple times. It would take some time to get used to but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. The newer CVTs I've driven have all been fine. Some were even spirited.

Once again Cujet, thanks for the comprehensive review.

MILs lucerne has start-stop.

Pull in to park, it stalls in drive.

Shift to park, it starts up again. Then turn the key off.

Pretty dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back