use Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 in diesel engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
70k km on my car for the fuel filter change, but I'm 80k on the original. Im not changing it yet, still make all the fuel pressure I need.

If you have a car with a real fuel filter, rather than an in-tank screen, be careful, cos many fuel systems are capable of splitting a non German made and OEM certified fuel filter element if they block.
I've had both HP fuel pump failures and blown out injector tips from blocked fuel filters and you get no warning, just a sudden loss of power and then black smoke for a second or two before the engine quits.
HP pump rebuilds are not cheap and getting a set of new injector tips fitted might be cheaper, but it all adds up.
The reason I had those failures was a combination of bad fuel and a non OEM standard fuel filter. One filter (Racor copy) did not fit correctly so it did not get dirty. The secondary fuel filter failed (Non OEM standard) and the black and brown good made very short work of trashing the injection system.

Last edited:
I replaced the fuel filter yesterday, but I'll probably be keeping the old one yet. It's definitely not yet saturated. And I use OEM only. UFI made in china though...

But that doesn't mean much, at a previous employer we had issues with german made mann filters, and german made sachs flywheels, while french made purflux and valeo items were fine.

Last edited:
My Chinese made UFI burst immediately after change. At 60€ and unauthorised filter change I wasn't happy. Luckily, a friend works at the dealer, it surely went back into a box and on the shelf.
Funny, filter on my GM is only a fraction of the price.

Originally Posted By: andrewnathaniel
Hello,

I'm also using Shell Helix Ultra Diesel 5w-40 in my 2014 Hyundai Accent 1.6 CRDI (U-II engine). I usually change OEM oil filter every 6mos. Is it okay to change it annually since I could not hit 10,000 kms per year?

Thank you so much.

if you dont reach 10K km / year maybe you need to change it once a year, i think still ok because the TBN is around 10...no worries about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back