High Mileage Oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. Just a asking a general question I had often thought about regarding high mileage oil. Often I see that a lot of them are blends. Not all but some. Why are a lot of them blends when a FS would offer the best protection? Seems strange it's a higher level of protection oil but not all that the oil could be...

You could ask the same about a non-HM blend. Price point marketing I suppose. Three tiers for the consumer to choose from.

Cost and the fact that there is no need for a cheap HM oil to have a real tough base stock, as they are not used for extended OCI's.
A dripper or burner can sometimes do extended OCI's if the top up oil is significant enough to result in an effective oil change. Then all you need do is change the filter!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I don't synthetic offers superior protection, merely longer oil change intervals.

+1
smile.gif

There is some reasoning that a blend has less "drain-off" issues vs a full syn. Blends are what a lot of OEM oils are and often carry lots of Certifications.

After all, All oils except virgin PAO or Ester base stocks are technically "blends" ...

Some are just more honest in saying so. Pennz says blend at 50/50. Others, who knows ...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I don't synthetic offers superior protection, merely longer oil change intervals.

There is a whole lot more going on than that. But yes, modern American "full synthetic" oil is merely synthesized (hydrocracked) conventional...

As the demands on "conventional" oil performance increase you'll see more and more high end components in it. It's happening already.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
There is a whole lot more going on than that. But yes, modern American "full synthetic" oil is merely synthesized (hydrocracked) conventional...

PP and PUP using the Pure Plus (GTL) process are notable exceptions.

Unless the brands you are comparing have certifications the other can not meet it does not matter what the label states as the base oil blends. Some "synthetics" can not even become Dexos certified and yet some "blends" are.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

PP and PUP using the Pure Plus (GTL) process are notable exceptions.

Oh yeah!! Would Europe call this a full syn?

Thanks everyone for the replies, some good info I had never thought about. So many aspects to it. Especially when talking about most Full synthetics are not even 100% themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back