Added To The Stash Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this since yesterday and did not know because dad stacked two gauge clusters on top of the box it was in, lol.

2 QTS SF Pennzoil HD conventional 10W-40
1 qt SF Castrol GTX conventional 20W-50
1 qt SF/CC Kendall Specialized conventional SAE 30
1 qt SF Kendall Superb 100 conventional 10W-40

Nice - we used to go thru many quarts of that GTX 20W-50 back in the day. My buddy had an 80's Accord that went 260,000 miles on that exclusively. Engine never smoked, even at the end when he permanently disabled the front suspension in the snow.

I may alternate every few OCI's with a run of something different to make the Kendall GT-1 last longer. I really don't want to use it all up too quickly. Maybe a run of Amoco next winter.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Had this since yesterday and did not know because dad stacked two gauge clusters on top of the box it was in, lol.

2 QTS SF Pennzoil HD conventional 10W-40
1 qt SF Castrol GTX conventional 20W-50
1 qt SF/CC Kendall Specialized conventional SAE 30
1 qt SF Kendall Superb 100 conventional 10W-40

Perhaps if you dug some more you might find one these along with the vintage oil. Always found they leaked, even with added gasket material between can and the spout. A must have at "service stations" though. Interesting topic oil additions to your stash, not quite vintage like the cans though.

il_570xN.537944827_mt40.jpg

^^^I don't know if the gasket/seal was sold separately or was a later 'improvement' on the original spout to help stop/reduce leakage. As noted, didn't seem to help much as far as I could tell. But service stations needed something to dump the oil quickly, wrapped a cloth shop rag around the area to catch any leaks. Not too concerned about some leakage.

I always preferred the spouts without the "seal" on them. Seemed they leaked more , at least for me. If they (the non seal ones) went into the can right they didn't leak. BUT, when they came out with the paper "cans" none worked as good as with the tin cans.

Originally Posted By: Daniel_Plainview
I know my vision is getting bad in my advanced age, but is that a picture of a cat on that bottle of Superflow?

Eyes not bad, it's a cat of sorts, the Exxon Tiger. The linked thread below gives a little better picture. For Exxon/Esso gas saying used to be, put a tiger in your tank.

As for the spout, always wondered if I was doing something wrong because it leaked. Don't remember if I ever opened the full metal cans though, definitely used the paper. I just preferred using traditional can opener. Sometimes twice opened on the pour hole.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1859799

Originally Posted By: old1
I always preferred the spouts without the "seal" on them. Seemed they leaked more , at least for me. If they (the non seal ones) went into the can right they didn't leak. BUT, when they came out with the paper "cans" none worked as good as with the tin cans.

I usually just used a church key and a funnel. If you were careful, you didn't even need the funnel. The spouts were hard to stab into the can correctly and with the later fiber cans you had to be wary of crushing down the sides rather than piecing the metal top.
The plastic quart bottles seemed a great convenience when they came along, especially if you needed less than a full quart of oil.
I find it a little amusing that the labels of both the Kendall and Pennzoil 10W-40s tout their fuel savings. This might have been true as compared to the GTX 20W-50 to the left.
OTOH, many people back in the seventies swore by GTX 20W-50 and used it in everything.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I find it a little amusing that the labels of both the Kendall and Pennzoil 10W-40s tout their fuel savings. This might have been true as compared to the GTX 20W-50 to the left.
OTOH, many people back in the seventies swore by GTX 20W-50 and used it in everything.

That's exactly what I was thinking, the 10W40's were considered fuel saving back then. The first ILSAC oil
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back