BMW 2012 528i xDrive Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
LL01 is primarily concerned with preventing deposits in the VANOS units when compared to other European spec oils.

Mobil 1 0W-40 does not meet the newest LL01 spec, with the addition of the N20 test. The N20 just happens to be the engine you are trying to care for.

And yes, driving at high speeds and high engine temperatures will put a higher strain on oil. If you're doing 5k intervals it SHOULDN'T be a problem, but you're on your own. Owning a 5er and cheaping out on oil strikes me as false economy.

FWIW, I picked up 10x 5 quart jugs of Castrol 0W-40 for just under $15 each.

Just wanted to post an update...
For my last change, I used Vavoline Maxlife Synthetic oil and a Pronto oil filter PO5607 (cheapest filter I could find on rockauto, $2 per filter) for about 13k miles. During this change I added about 1.5 quarts of regular oil (Valvoline Nexgen) as the engine burns 1 quart every 6-7k.

The filter was mangled at the end. So this time I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 (old gray bottle - not ultra) and a Fram filter (forget which one, but it's $17 at walmart)
Car runs like a top, no issues, still fast, still drive it hard, still gives great MPG
Car is just under 100k miles now
smile.gif

Last edited:
Using the wrong oil and Pronto oil filters in a turbo BMW...

Does that Porsche have Lionhart or Ling Long tires on it?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Using the wrong oil and Pronto oil filters in a turbo BMW...

Does that Porsche have Lionhart or Ling Long tires on it?

Mine had Achilles on the front when I bought it! Interesting that a tire company would name itself after a god with bad feet. Course the car also had a Henst filter and Liqui Moly in it. So he cared about maintenance but not hydroplaning and understeer.

Priorities, man.

I'm surprised someone who posts here and tracks responses as well as ask for recommendations... ends up using [censored] for their purpose.

But I guess that's the kind of decision matrix that leads to driving 135mph on public roads. Save it for the track junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back