Resurfacing/Painting Rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have (I think!) aluminum / alloy rims.

They are really clean very few nics. One has a little chip. Any advice / recommendations for trying to fix that myself? Or would it look like I did it. A local shop said $150 which was too much for me right now. Don't need it to be perfect but from 20 feet away it would look acceptable.

Sand, clean up area, silver spray, seal?

Rim looks like this... Rims Pic

I've heard of people putting aluminum foil on there and hitting it with a propane torch.

Obviously, with the tyre removed.

All I can say is good luck matching that silver. I tried to fix a scratch I made to my factory Toyota wheels and had to resort to women's nail polish to find a close color match.

I wouldn't bother trying to fill in lost material. Unless it is done by a pro, the repair won't last.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
All I can say is good luck matching that silver. I tried to fix a scratch I made to my factory Toyota wheels and had to resort to women's nail polish to find a close color match.

Trying to picture you holding your wheel up at the nail polish counter looking for the best match.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coopns

for the short term, yes. don't expect it to match though. this would just be to keep any kind of corrosion at bay over the winter.
for a long term fix, done right. save up and pay the man his $150.

my brother is having a similar debate with his challenger. we don't have to worry about the salt corrosion issue, as he's put the car into storage for the winter. he curb checked his brand new Challenger within the first week. 1 spot of curb rash, about 3/4 to 1" long. on Black, Forged, Aluminum wheels.
needless to say he was more than a little miffed at himself..

Last edited:
Most alloy wheel repair places charge $85-150 depending on the finish on the wheel. If you have a silver painted wheel like the photo I'd say $100-125 is the going rate. It's worth a shot to try to match yourself and if it stands out just pay to have it fixed correctly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coopns
I have (I think!) aluminum / alloy rims.

They are really clean very few nics. One has a little chip. Any advice / recommendations for trying to fix that myself? Or would it look like I did it. A local shop said $150 which was too much for me right now. Don't need it to be perfect but from 20 feet away it would look acceptable.

Rim looks like this... Rims Pic

I can't justify spending $150 per rim to get them resurfaced, when you can buy brand new rims or newer used rims for less (unless your sporting some wheels over 20 inches).

I would try a kit if they are that bad http://duplicolor.com/video/type/how-to-projects/dupli-color-wheel-coating

or try something like Plasti-dip.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Trying to picture you holding your wheel up at the nail polish counter looking for the best match.

You almost have to do that. Silver is such a complex color to match that you really can't just eyeball it.

Luckily my friends wife is a nail polish addict and brought over a few DOZEN bottles for me to try. I found one that was about a 98% match but it has different sized flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back