Xmas laser decorations and Airport flight paths

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed these are very popular this year, and many are aimed shooting well past the house's roof or off into the trees intentionally.
A few google hits from 2015 with Xmas lasers and pilots as search terms, but none (so far) this year.

Do the packages say anything about airport flight paths? I know there are several commercial pilot Bitog members.

How much of a Danger do these laser decorations pose? Are the flight paths like multicolored porcupine quills around population centers?

What kind of wattage do these pull, compared to regular and LED Xmas lights?

Intentionally? How do you know that? They barely make the side of a house at 50 feet, doubt they would even be seen by an airliner. Way to paranoid

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Intentionally? How do you know that? They barely make the side of a house at 50 feet, doubt they would even be seen by an airliner. Way to paranoid

Interesting. It seems some folks like the FAA would disagree with you, but really, what do they know?

Originally Posted By: News Source
On Thursday in Texas, an American Airlines pilot was hit by a laser while flying at 13,000 feet. Police traced the beam back to a home with a laser light display.

In November, a similar incident happened in Sacramento involving a helicopter.

News source

I may be wrong, but i though the danger in lasers and airplanes was from the more powerful ones( like 100-500mw) , not the cheap meeting room lasers that put out 5mw.

Perhaps Astro14 can chime in on this thread.

Last edited:
In today's litigious society the decoration maker would have a warning about its use if it were the "wrong" class laser.

If you install it per instructions IMO you could sleep nights.

Or call the public affairs dude at your local airport.

The talking heads on at least one Phoenix channel did an expose' about these dangerous laser decorations a few weeks ago. Guess if you aim it at your big cactus "intentionally" a lot is going to miss and go up somewhere. Their money shot was from a chopper of someone pointing a fairly powerful green laser up at the chopper. Not the same thing bozos.

Everyone is over thinking it. There is no danger from Christmas displays and dont let, once again, SOME uneducated in the field FAA public servants, tell you different and more so, a so called news story in the press.

Out of 87,000 flights a day in the USA, true, yes, some pilots will see Christmas displays and once in a very great while a pilot MIGHT misinterpret a ground based house Christmas display "laser" for the "real" thing.
Bottom line, whether they see it from the air doesnt matter, just like you see street lights from the air. ITs impossible to blind you any more then if you were walking out your front door and looked at the "laser" from 10 feet away, never mind 10,000 feet away.

The laser threat to aviation depends on several factors. Power and range, naturally, but also how dark-adapted the pilots eyes are at the moment, the frequency (color) of the laser and the atmospherics (transmission/absorption).

So, when a human eye is completely dark-adapted, it's fully dilated and sensitive. So, it's most vulnerable at that point. Green lasers do up to 35 times the damage of red lasers, because if the eyes' sensitivity to that color when dark adapted.

There are different levels of threat.

Eye hazard (permanent damage) - obviously a concern.*
Flash Blindness (temporary loss of vision). - also a big deal.*
Glare/disruptions - can't see for the time the laser is on the airplane*
Distraction - the bright flash/light takes your eyes off where they should be, and might cause problems
Nuisance - can see it, but it doesn't impede the ability to fly.

For a 5mw laser - the distances, on a dark night, are about 50 feet hazard, 250 feet flash blindness, 1/4 mile for glare, and about 2 miles for distraction. So, even though "safe" a low powered laser pointer can permanently damage an eye at short range if it's green and the eye is dark adapted. Nail guns are "safe" too, and I own several, but I don't point them at people...

* Can't see means can't fly the airplane. Good chance of crashing because you can't see the controls, the radios, and the autopilot functions to engage them. Sure, I can push the autopilot engage switch, but, um, where is it going to go? That requires programming, which requires vision.

For 500mw lasers (still legal to own) the distances are considerable: 500 feet hazard (permanent blindness, again, this is serious), 1/2 mile flash blindness, 2 1/2 miles glare/disruption, and up to 25 miles for distraction.

A very serious threat.

And I don't think an $11,000 fine is sufficient for punishment for the deliberate attempt to blind someone and cause the potential deaths of hundreds of people. I would be in favor of hanging up the perpetrator and letting either the blinded pilot, or the family and friends of the dead passengers, treat him like a piñata- sure, the pilot can't see, but he could still swing a bludgeon...

As far as your Christmas lasers? I don't know the power, but you should be conservative/cautious around them. Pointing lasers at your house at night strikes me as foolish...and if your near an airport, potentially criminal...

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Everyone is over thinking it. There is no danger from Christmas displays and dont let, once again, SOME uneducated in the field FAA public servants, tell you different and more so, a so called news story in the press.

Out of 87,000 flights a day in the USA, true, yes, some pilots will see Christmas displays and once in a very great while a pilot MIGHT misinterpret a ground based house Christmas display "laser" for the "real" thing.
Bottom line, whether they see it from the air doesnt matter, just like you see street lights from the air. ITs impossible to blind you any more then if you were walking out your front door and looked at the "laser" from 10 feet away, never mind 10,000 feet away.

I love seeing Christmas displays at night from the air. Just like I love seeing fireworks from the air. If I'm working on those holidays, at least the view is cool...

But you're completely wrong about the risks of lasers.

Slow news day. Yes strong laser pointers are dangerous. many of these projecting "laser" displays use LEDs and arent even lasers.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Slow news day. Yes strong laser pointers are dangerous. many of these projecting "laser" displays use LEDs and arent even lasers.

I think there are two varieties. One set that uses LEDs like a kaleidoscope, the other that makes lots of distinct laser(?) dots.

Where we live there are so many trees, laser light escaping up is improbable in many circumstances, but four year olds (who want to light up the house) are a distinct concern.

Dust, clouds, rain, lots of other things come into play with lasers, but it doesnt take much to harm an eye.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

As far as your Christmas lasers? I don't know the power, but you should be conservative/cautious around them. Pointing lasers at your house at night strikes me as foolish...and if your near an airport, potentially criminal...

A quick check shows 1mW/5mW power rating on these things. If you're unfamiliar with what's being talked about the beam is split into hundreds if not thousands of little spots of light that shine on your house, trees, whatever. Also indicates "UL, FCC, & ROHS certified for additional safety" whatever that means. Probably not foolish or criminal.

If laser strikes are a big concern there are laser safety glasses. Just like locked cockpits and armed pilots it may be necessary.

I love seeing Christmas displays at night from the air. Just like I love seeing fireworks from the air. If I'm working on those holidays, at least the view is cool...

Im sorry but I cant see how a Christmas Decoration, one that a child can look into from 5 feet away is going to harm a pilot 500 to 5000 feet up in the air passing by at hundreds of miles an hour, which means in less then a split second he is past it, yet the child is still looking at it.

I suspect that the pilot who reported this THOUGHT he/she was being targeted by someone with a real laser and not thinking it was a Christmas Decoration.

Last edited:

Im sorry but I cant see how a Christmas Decoration, one that a child can look into from 5 feet away is going to harm a pilot 500 to 5000 feet up in the air passing by at hundreds of miles an hour, which means in less then a split second he is past it, yet the child is still looking at it.

I suspect that the pilot who reported this THOUGHT he/she was being targeted by someone with a real laser and not thinking it was a Christmas Decoration.

Please go back and read my first post, not just the one that you quoted.

Depends on power, range, and a few other factors.

Oh, I agree on non Christmas lasers, just this thread was about laser Christmas Decorations.
People seem to be quoting me on this like I'm talking about something other then the OP.

The Christmas Tree light guys charge a dollar a foot to install your Christmas Lights. It adds up real quick. These new laser types is going to save me some money!

If I were to go knock on the door with this decoration, the head of the household opens the door and gets immediately blasted by the decorating light and is blinded as he is about 20 feet away from the source.

Astro, do you want to answer this?

Eyesight is too precious
Potential eye damage is not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I just saw the neighbor kid's glasses, who is standing about 20 feet from the source by his front door, have his glasses occasionally glow, lit up with lasers, alternating red and green.

No, I do not know the strength of the diffused spots, or the risk, or if his eyes were open, but It seems extraordinarily foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back