Best start in cold: M1-EP 5-20 or 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold Pour Points and hot HTHS
M1 5W20 EP, PP = -42C, HTHS = 2.75 cP
M1 5W30 EP, PP = -40C, HTHS = 3.0 cP

M1 5W20 Regular, PP = -43C, HTHS = 2.75 cP
M1 5W30 Regular, PP = -42C, HTHS = 3.1 cP

So the 5W20 is always a little bit better in the cold over the 5W30 (give the same flavour of M1) but interestingly the regular M1 is a little better than the Extended Performance M1. But there is not much in it looking at the pour points. But this answers your question.

To be honest I would go the regular vanilla M1 5W30, as it's PP is as good as the M1 5W20 EP, but being a 30 grade it has a higher HTHS for hot & high load performance. This still meets your requirement of using a M1 product at your mate's shop and still following the car owners manual.

You know, time and time again, regular M1 5W-30 impresses me as a well designed and well balanced product. I'm a Castrol, Valvoline and Penrite man myself, but hats off to a well designed oil that is regular M1 5W30. I may have to buy some one day.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Cold Pour Points and hot HTHS
M1 5W20 EP, PP = -42C, HTHS = 2.75 cP
M1 5W30 EP, PP = -40C, HTHS = 3.0 cP

M1 5W20 Regular, PP = -43C, HTHS = 2.75 cP
M1 5W30 Regular, PP = -42C, HTHS = 3.1 cP

So the 5W20 is always a little bit better in the cold over the 5W30 (give the same flavour of M1) but interestingly the regular M1 is a little better than the Extended Performance M1. But there is not much in it looking at the pour points. But this answers your question.

To be honest I would go the regular vanilla M1 5W30, as it's PP is as good as the M1 5W20 EP, but being a 30 grade it has a higher HTHS for hot & high load performance. This still meets your requirement of using a M1 product at your mate's shop and still following the car owners manual.

You know, time and time again, regular M1 5W-30 impresses me as a well designed and well balanced product. I'm a Castrol, Valvoline and Penrite man myself, but hats off to a well designed oil that is regular M1 5W30. I may have to buy some one day.

I'll just add that cold cranking data (CCS) is probably better to look at than pour points, but I couldn't easily find any for M1. But as BBHero said, being 5W they all have the same limits imposed on them.

Also the EP is designed for extended drains (long OCI) and given that you are following the owners manual for warranty reasons, I can't see you pushing a long oil run, so regular M1 should serve you fine and with ample TBN to spare.

i live in Chibougamau and i have used pp 5w20 in my previous car since 2010. a 2010 Hyundai elantra touring. i travel 6500 to 8000km a month. i have to travel to Radisson, chisasibi, mistissini, matagami, fermont, labrador city, happy valley goose bay. my car had no block heater and it has started when it was -43,3 celcius with relative ease. it's inexpensive, easy to find and has very good ccs, mrv and pour point of -51 celcius. ccs is 4000 at -30c, very good and mrv is 9000 at -35. also very good. if it can do it's job in subartic climate, it will be plenty good in chicago. it is one of the better readily available 5w20 oïl. i prefer it to the ultra 5w20.

my current car is a 2016 mazda 6 and i use petro canada supreme 0w20 or mobil 1 afe 0w20. in russia, they very much like the petro canada supreme 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back