Amsoil Dual Remote with MotorGuard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I might have a filter fetish
eek.gif
as I installed an Amsoil Dual Remote and a MotorGuard as an extra measure of assurance on my 2009 Ford 5R110. I was originally going to install a Frantz filter, but found these MotorGuards while searching TP filters. I had this Amsoil Dual Remote I planned on installing on another vehicle, so I decided to just use this unit on my truck and tie it in with my MotorGuard. Took me around 4 hours to make the bracket, install the filters and take a fluid sample before topping off the trans with 5 ltr's of fluid. I took the truck for a quick run and was happy with the install. I have a 14 hour road trip tomorrow to truly test the new filters:) Here's some pictures and a video:

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7K_SLqVFdA&feature=youtu.be

Man after my own heart, haha... kewl...

Remember: Oil and oil filters are good for 5K miles max. all else is just hype.

Purolator is probably the top shelf filter maker.

Castrol edge is the best oil in the world nothing has more science and chemistry in it.

See my posts concerning castrol edge. it's not just my informed opinion.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jarad248

Castrol edge is the best oil in the world nothing has more science and chemistry in it.

cool.gif

Did you say Castrol:)

cool.gif

Very funny!

A sensible owner bases all oil change intervals on UOA samples.

An educated oil filter fan club member uses German made and TUV certified OEM standard filters, but might use a Tearolator in an emergency.

Castrol Edge, OMG! Shell Ultra and Liqui Moly Synthoils are far better.

PS: I like bypass oil filter systems, BUT I would need to move the battery to the boot (There is an approved Mod, but it's not a cheap one) in order to make room for the unit. Also the present spin on oil filter is near to the battery bay, which makes for simpler plumbing.

Last edited:
It appears that you have a bit of fudge factor for strength built into your bracket and bolts.

Nice job on the installation. Taking the time to clean up and paint your mounting bracket was a nice touch.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

cool.gif

Very funny!

A sensible owner bases all oil change intervals on UOA samples.

An educated oil filter fan club member uses German made and TUV certified OEM standard filters, but might use a Tearolator in an emergency.

Castrol Edge, OMG! Shell Ultra and Liqui Moly Synthoils are far better.

PS: I like bypass oil filter systems, BUT I would need to move the battery to the boot (There is an approved Mod, but it's not a cheap one) in order to make room for the unit. Also the present spin on oil filter is near to the battery bay, which makes for simpler plumbing.

True, I base my oil changes strictly on lab reports now. Fortunately for me I drive this truck that has now room in the engine bay, but plenty underneath.:)

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It appears that you have a bit of fudge factor for strength built into your bracket and bolts.

Nice job on the installation. Taking the time to clean up and paint your mounting bracket was a nice touch.

Thanks, that's the only scrap I had, so I made use of it:) Don't think those filters are going anywhere soon.:)

I cannot see your images. So you put a dual bypass oil filter on you transmission? Seems overkill.

I think a Magnefine is all people need. It catches a lot more metallic particles via the magnet than the media section catches.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I cannot see your images. So you put a dual bypass oil filter on you transmission? Seems overkill.

I think a Magnefine is all people need. It catches a lot more metallic particles via the magnet than the media section catches.

If a vehicle has a ZF or Ford dual clutch auto box, then it will have a normal spin on filter, rather than a magnetic mesh one. You can fit a dual bypass filter to that type of box.
I must admit I also thought it was an engine installation that needed extra brackets.

Last edited:

It may be overkill, but with this system installed I should extend the life of the transmission and clean up the oil, so I have no issues in the future. I'm sure a Magnefine is good, but not near as good as what I've installed.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

If a vehicle has a ZF or Ford dual clutch auto box, then it will have a normal spin on filter, rather than a magnetic mesh one. You can fit a dual bypass filter to that type of box.
I must admit I also thought it was an engine installation that needed extra brackets.

In my trans, they did away with the factory bypass filter in 2009 which is the year of my truck. Instead the re-engineered the pickup filter from a foam type mesh to a paper mesh filter which if not mistaken is around 40um. I added the Dual Remote into my return line from the cooler so I filter through the full flow and 10% though the 2um bypass filter. I then added my MotorGuard M100 to the Dual Remote manifold so the it filters as well. I won't know till I get the before and after particle counts done to see how well the system works. From what I researched I have not found anyone to mounted one to they're trans.:) Thanks for the comments.

The concept of your bypass installation on an automatic transmission is positively brilliant. I am familiar with the AMSOIL BMK23 System, I am not familiar with the Motor Guard M100 filter system. I did a little searching, it seems the one I looked at was an air filtration system. is this what you installed on your transmission?
Is the Contamination (Dirt-Holding) Capacity of the filter available as well the Particle Capture Efficiency and Beta Rating? (i.e.)- (Bx= Um size?). Did you install the MGM100 to trap moisture? I am assuming the Motor Guard M100 is a depth loading type media vs. surface loading.

I like that you base your oil change intervals on UOA sample data and you are using particle counting. The ISO Particle Count will confirm two things, the efficiency of your filters as well determining filter service change interval and secondly trending the degradation of the oil performance as it depletes with time. This is valuable tool in making lubricant selection choices based on the performance of the oils.

Industry data states 75 percent of all hydraulic systems fail due to contaminated and or aging transmission/hydraulic fluid. Contamination causes aging/degradation of fluids and hydraulic systems failure for numerous reasons.

A new hydraulic fluid can contain 5,000 particles per 1 ml that are 5 µm or larger, which exceeds the level recommended by most manufacturers for normal operation. Hence, proper lubricant selection is of essence, a good practice is prefilter the oil using a filter cart before installing in your equipment.
Unfortunately, particles as small as 0.5 µm can be harmful to the system actuators, servo valves and proportional valves. One can conclude that keeping the lubricant clean of dirt and contaminates will greatly extend the reliability and life of the transmission.

Given the cost to replace or rebuild an automatic transmission here in Canada exceeding $3000, installing additional filtration is invaluable. I truly believe that the North American manufacturers could greatly improve the reliability of automatic transmissions by factory design, installing bypass filtration in the transmissions, as well magnetic filtration to trap ferrous particles. Using the ISO particle count Life Extension Tables, it is possible to extend the life of the transmission 9 times by reducing the ISO from 22/21/18 to 14/13/10 plus extending the life of the transmission/hydraulic fluid 4-5 times.

Congratulations on your installation and we look forward to UOA sample results with particle counts.

Originally Posted By: MLAII
The concept of your bypass installation on an automatic transmission is positively brilliant. I am familiar with the AMSOIL BMK23 System, I am not familiar with the Motor Guard M100 filter system. I did a little searching, it seems the one I looked at was an air filtration system. is this what you installed on your transmission?
Is the Contamination (Dirt-Holding) Capacity of the filter available as well the Particle Capture Efficiency and Beta Rating? (i.e.)- (Bx= Um size?). Did you install the MGM100 to trap moisture? I am assuming the Motor Guard M100 is a depth loading type media vs. surface loading.

I like that you base your oil change intervals on UOA sample data and you are using particle counting. The ISO Particle Count will confirm two things, the efficiency of your filters as well determining filter service change interval and secondly trending the degradation of the oil performance as it depletes with time. This is valuable tool in making lubricant selection choices based on the performance of the oils.

Industry data states 75 percent of all hydraulic systems fail due to contaminated and or aging transmission/hydraulic fluid. Contamination causes aging/degradation of fluids and hydraulic systems failure for numerous reasons.

A new hydraulic fluid can contain 5,000 particles per 1 ml that are 5 µm or larger, which exceeds the level recommended by most manufacturers for normal operation. Hence, proper lubricant selection is of essence, a good practice is prefilter the oil using a filter cart before installing in your equipment.
Unfortunately, particles as small as 0.5 µm can be harmful to the system actuators, servo valves and proportional valves. One can conclude that keeping the lubricant clean of dirt and contaminates will greatly extend the reliability and life of the transmission.

Given the cost to replace or rebuild an automatic transmission here in Canada exceeding $3000, installing additional filtration is invaluable. I truly believe that the North American manufacturers could greatly improve the reliability of automatic transmissions by factory design, installing bypass filtration in the transmissions, as well magnetic filtration to trap ferrous particles. Using the ISO particle count Life Extension Tables, it is possible to extend the life of the transmission 9 times by reducing the ISO from 22/21/18 to 14/13/10 plus extending the life of the transmission/hydraulic fluid 4-5 times.

Congratulations on your installation and we look forward to UOA sample results with particle counts.

Thanks for your positive reply,

The MotorGuard M100 unit I've used pre-dates the filters that MotorGuard now makes for air filtration (essentially tightly would toilet paper). Starting in the mid to late 70's MotorGuard switched from oil filtration to air filtration and modified the M100 unit with plastic internals and new filter media to accomplish this task (now labelled the M30 unit). MotorGuard air filters are some of the best units now sold to clean compressed air. Prior to the switch they made the M100 unit I now have and in the day was one of the best bypass systems on the market. The M100 uses a roll of toilet paper as the filtering media and compresses it as you tighten the 2 halves together, creating a better seal and denser paper roll. Unfortunately there are no Beta or capture ratings I'm aware of. The unit is a depth loading type media (paper cellulose) and in the day claimed to scrub the oil down to less that 2um. I've installed it to see if it traps any noticable particles from the clutch plates and internal parts of the trans etc. Only time will tell, I'll take another sample in 5000 kms and change the roll of toilet paper to see how it looks. I'll be posting the results on this site, so stay tune for further updates:)

Well I got my particle count on my trans fluid back from BlackStone. As I expected it was really dirty as I bought the truck from a used car dealership that claimed to change all fluids including the transmission filter. I highly doubted they did this but the fluid was clean looking on the dipstick and did not smell so I left it in. Looking forward to what I get back in 5000 kms of use. The truck see's mixed city/highway and some towing as well. Here's the sample:

Hey guys just an update on the system. I just changed out the first toilet paper roll from the MotorGuard after 6000 miles and seems to be working well. I also took an oil sample before the filter change and will send that off to the lab end of this week. Interested to see if the is any difference in the cleanliness of the oil. I'll update this post when I get the results back. Some pictures and a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3pV0ZfCB7g&feature=youtu.be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back