Mobil 1 Super Conventional Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to purchase for the first time Mobil conventional oil. This is called super. Went to WM and noticed the bottles say 5000 miles of protection. This is for my daughter's 08 Civic. She usually lets the OLM go to close to zero before calling for an oil change. This ends up being about 6k or so miles. Her car does not call for synthetic. I passed up the Mobil and went back to Castrol GTX which is what it has been getting for the past 40k or so miles. I also noticed that Fram filters also show mileage numbers on them. Anyone use the traditional Mobil longer than 5k?

Go to AAP and buy the Castrol Magnetec 0W-20 for $.95/quart and the 5W-20 for $1.45/quart. Both full Synthetic. A great valve.

That said, UOA's running M5K with well over 5,000 miles are superb.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: titanium10k
Planning to purchase for the first time Mobil conventional oil. This is called super. Went to WM and noticed the bottles say 5000 miles of protection. This is for my daughter's 08 Civic. She usually lets the OLM go to close to zero before calling for an oil change. This ends up being about 6k or so miles. Her car does not call for synthetic. I passed up the Mobil and went back to Castrol GTX which is what it has been getting for the past 40k or so miles. I also noticed that Fram filters also show mileage numbers on them. Anyone use the traditional Mobil longer than 5k?

Surprised Mobil say their oil will only last 5K miles !!

If your daughter likes using O on the OLM to judge oil changes, it might be a good idea to spend a few dollars more on a longer lasting oil with a better Add pack. I hope Castrol have improved their additives in GTX, as it's probably their cheapest oil and you will get what you pay for when an engine is subject to severe service useage in particular.
The service notes for my own TDI say the max OCI is 20K km and use a conventional A3/B3 oil when subject to normal use. In severe service applications the max OCI is reduced to 10K km, BUT there is a specific note that says if the car is used in a hot desert area (Above 35c) a full synthetic (Group 4 synthoil) 15w40 should be used AND the max OCI reduced to only 5000 km.
Oddly enough only Amsoil make or did make a FS 15w40, so the mid East dealers have been using Mobil 10w60 EP and a 3000 mile OCI due to Silicon contamination limits.

The only way to know if a Mobil oil with a dinosaur base stock is good for an extended OCI, is to get a few UOA's done. Doing anything else is just guess work.

Not many cars call for a good major brand full synthetic in the US, as such approvals are not popular with the dealers or even some owners, but there are some areas and applications that make using a major brand FS oil a real good idea.

Cheap oil filters are prone to internal media splits, the oil seal can leak and they might have a pressure relief valve that is unreliable. Another case of, "You get what you pay for".

Some of the cheaper orange, white or black cans of death should have a zero mileage written on them.

PS: Castrol GTX 5w30 is a fairly OK oil, it's GTX 15w40 HM or GTX 10w40 that I'm not a fan of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

If your daughter likes using O on the OLM to judge oil changes, it might be a good idea to spend a few dollars more on a longer lasting oil with a better Add pack. I hope Castrol have improved their additives in GTX, as it's probably their cheapest oil and you will get what you pay for when an engine is subject to severe service useage in particular.

The only way to know if a Mobil oil with a dinosaur base stock is good for an extended OCI, is to get a few UOA's done. Doing anything else is just guess work.

Not many cars call for a good major brand full synthetic in the US, as such approvals are not popular with the dealers or even some owners, but there are some areas and applications that make using a major brand FS oil a real good idea.

Cheap oil filters are prone to internal media splits, the oil seal can leak and they might have a pressure relief valve that is unreliable. Another case of, "You get what you pay for".

Some of the cheaper orange, white or black cans of death should have a zero mileage written on them.

PS: Castrol GTX 5w30 is a fairly OK oil, it's GTX 15w40 HM or GTX 10w40 that I'm not a fan of.

How come you don't like the GTX hm?

It's OK IF you need an HM oil, BUT it's too thick for use in a cold winter and lacks the AW/EP & FM additives that a turbo needs, if you have one.
GTX 5w30 has a better base stock and produces UOA results nearly as good as Edge for 5K mile OCI's (Not seen results for 10K).

Oddly enough using a cheap oil in a new engine is much less of an issue than using a cheap oil in a worn engine, unless you are a long OCI fan.

Last edited:

The service notes for my own TDI say the max OCI is 20K km and use a conventional A3/B3 oil when subject to normal use. In severe service applications the max OCI is reduced to 10K km, BUT there is a specific note that says if the car is used in a hot desert area (Above 35c) a full synthetic (Group 4 synthoil) 15w40 should be used AND the max OCI reduced to only 5000 km.
Oddly enough only Amsoil make or did make a FS 15w40, so the mid East dealers have been using Mobil 10w60 EP and a 3000 mile OCI due to Silicon contamination limits.

Most every thing you said is wrong.

Everything UltraUKfan is speculation not facts.

Tig1 and others like OVERKILL and 2016_PSD and Wemay post USEFUL FACTS, this guy does NOT

They don't. Mobil guarantees the performance of the oil; they guarantee against engine failure if you run 5,000 mile intervals with the product. That's all the 5,000 alludes to.

The 5w-20 for example has the following approvals:
Ford WSS-M2C945-A
Chrysler MS-6395

The 5w-30 the following:
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Chrysler MS-6395

Which of course, along with the simple API SN designation it also carries, means it is suitable for use in vehicles using an OLM, which will extend OCI's well beyond 5,000 miles in many applications.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

They don't. Mobil guarantees the performance of the oil; they guarantee against engine failure if you run 5,000 mile intervals with the product. That's all the 5,000 alludes to.

The 5w-20 for example has the following approvals:
Ford WSS-M2C945-A
Chrysler MS-6395

The 5w-30 the following:
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Chrysler MS-6395

Which of course, along with the simple API SN designation it also carries, means it is suitable for use in vehicles using an OLM, which will extend OCI's well beyond 5,000 miles in many applications.

OVERKILL, thank you for your post ... Very well done.
thumbsup2.gif

It's OK IF you need an HM oil, BUT it's too thick for use in a cold winter and lacks the AW/EP & FM additives that a turbo needs, if you have one.

Castrol HM meets the cold pumping requirements for whatever grade they print on the bottle, as per SAE J300, just like every other oil from the majors on the shelf. With the original poster being from Florida and aquariuscsm being from Texas, I doubt that winter pumpability is even an afterthought.

Virtually all name brand convention oils can go 7.5k miles in most vehicles unless your vehicle has a turbo or some special circumstance.

I recently scraped a '01 Chevy 1500 with 380k miles that for the life of it only seen 7.5k mile OCI on the cheapest of oils.

Why talk about lesser castrol products when edge and edge high milege is at my wally-world for $25. for a 5 quart bottle ?
crazy.gif

Remember folks your oil is spent around the 5k mark "no matter what it says on the bottle" concerning acid build up in your engine.

Acid is what causes a lot of bad things,
wink.gif
including wear..
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jarad248
Why talk about lesser castrol products when edge and edge high milege is at my wally-world for $25. for a 5 quart bottle ?
crazy.gif

Remember folks your oil is spent around the 5k mark "no matter what it says on the bottle" concerning acid build up in your engine.

wink.gif
including wear..
wink.gif

You mean it's spent at 5K when hundreds of UOA's posted on here show many oils with strong TBN's at 7,500-12,000 miles? You will be hard pressed to find a quality synthetic UOA on here showing it's spent (low TBN) by 5K miles. Though a severe short tripped car in a cold climate probably could probably be spent by around 4K-6K miles.

crazy.gif

wink.gif
including wear..
wink.gif

Well you better tell your precious Castrol to stop advertising 15,000 mile OCIs.

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/castrol-edge.html

You show up a couple of weeks ago spewing your uninformed [censored]. The majority of your posts do nothing but praise Castrol, even when it is not being discussed. Cut the [censored].

I ran it for almost 11k miles in my Navigator, towing boats, dragging out stuck forklifts, 90+mph on the highway, etc.

TBN was still 1.8, and wear metals were below universal averages for half of the mileage. Stupendous oil.

crazy.gif

wink.gif
including wear..
wink.gif

Try again this was not a valid post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back