xfinity in indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
current phone system under relativs name, landline, slow internet, had employee discount, she died, price now about $80 per month. Talked to Infinity, $30 25m download, I can supply own gateway, BUT I HAVE TO HAVE A AMERITECH phone line. So $55? to Ameritech. Is a landline always needed? Indiana Ameritech plus Time Warner.

Not quite following but sounds like:
1. Relative had Xfinity through an employee discount and then she died.
2. Xfinity is offering 25mb download @ $30/month
3. You have to have an Ameritech phone line which is $55/month

Questions:
1. Do you always need a landline? No and with Xfinity high-speed internet a 'landline' is VOIP, not old copper line.

Not sure what else you are asking or where Time Warner is coming in.

PS - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast can answer almost any question you probably have.

Why do you need a landline and what are your questions?

You are accurate, but XFINITY number (from TV ad) was answered by "Time Warner, how can I help you?" so I assume they are connected, they said their "cable" needed a land line. I want to drop the total ATT stuff (my cricket cell phone is fine) but they say I must have a ATT land line to hook the "cable" to. Doesn't make sense. Sounds like Xfinity is DSL.

Enter your info here to see if you are in Comcast/Xfinity service area: http://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/shop/productoverview.html
The Comcast number is: 1-800-934-6489

Time Warner Cable is totally different company and was bought by Charter and is under the Spectrum banner so very odd you would get mixed up.

I don't think Comcast has any DSL areas left and if you have AT&T (U-verse?) then it should definitely be a high speed area. Comcast definitely wouldn't require a landline as they never had a telephone service and then you would be backhauling data on someone else's network. Very strange indeed.

Call back then number above - if you have an issue PM me and I'll give you some other info that should help. Headed out soon so might be tomorrow.

He probably dialed the wrong number. It's well known that other companies camp out on numbers just a little off the main number to pick up people who dial incorrectly.

Comcast has double and triple play packages. It was actually cheaper for me to get a triple play package than a double play package even though I don't use the phone line that came with the package. Only problem with it is having to get a telephony cable modem and there aren't too many models to choose from if you want to use your own modem and not pay an extra $10 a month in rental fees.

ummm, I called xfinity again, I was not transferred to anybody that said Time Warner, this time they said cable, no phone line needed, and, until 13 December, approx. $43 per month 75 m download, 1 TB cap, I buy own modem (I understand Best Buys and Walmart have refurbs)good for 12 months, then big price increase (if no competition develops) very friendly person, she will call back Monday as price increase 12/13 tuesday, hope that not a scam, now to call phone co. and see what deal is in place there. Thanks for comments!

You can get a refurb Arris SB6183 for about $50 on Newegg. Search on slickdeals.net for a deal on an Arris cable modem. If you want wifi, consider a cheap AC1200 router.

I have Xfinity(Comcast) and a Motorola Arris modem/router SBG6580 . They get good reviews and mine has been just fine. I have Xfinity for the computer internet. That`s all , not their tv hookup . I`m currently on their new customer$19.99 plan and the speed is just fine for my usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back