Preventing Damage to ABS Modulators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always good practice to open the bleeder to let the dirty fluid out and not push it back into the system. Except on a beater when the bleed nipple breaks off from rust seizure...

Agreed but in the rust belt it doesn't have to be a beater to have rusted tight bleeder screws. For someone with little experience with rotten bleeders their method is okay then let a mechanic deal with breaking the bleeders free with a fluid change.

I just shoved a whole bunch of sludge into my brake system last weekend. Its working great... time will tell.

Nice thing about having Speed Bleeders at every corner is there is no worry of air getting back int the system when I compress the pistons. Just have to make sure on the front calipers to have both bleeders loose.

If the brake fluid is so bad that you're worried about pushing particles back into the system, Id argue that yu need to flush and change the whole lot. Brakes are too important to everybodys safety to ignore, neglect or take shortcuts with.

How about flushing first?
If you want to be really paranoid flush and then run a scan tool to bleed the ABS.

BTW, the Ford FSM does not say to do this.

From what I was told, FWIW, by a few techs, it is an old wives tale.

I have been cracking a bleeder while compressing a caliper piston as standard practice during a brake job for the past few years.
You would be amazed at the sludge that comes out, even when the fluid in the reservoir looks clean.

Ive always pushed the piston back with the bleeder closed but I go ahead of bleed the brakes afterwards so I dont think it matter much in a clean system.

I always open the bleeder when I push a caliper piston back in. I've been doing that for more years than I care to remember and have seen some really nasty fluid come out of many calipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back