Wood finish question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm picking up a 1''inch slab x 6' ft tall Sycamore. I'm going to make a growth chart for my daughter and future kids. For reference, it's going to look something like the attached image. The decals are vinyl.

What would you finish the slab with? Lacquer, Polyurethane, Shellac?

Thanks for your help!

Easy. Polyurethane. You can get a satin or gloss finish. Use a natural bristle brush and follow the application instructions.

Is the decal already attached? Do you want to mark on it and the marks stay permanent? Is the wood kiln dried? If its green, you need to wait a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Is the decal already attached? Do you want to mark on it and the marks stay permanent?

No, I would prefer to Lacquer over the vinyl so that it's permanent.

I'd also like to keep the natural color of the wood. I think it's really pretty.

They make some really good waterbased laquers now that don't yellow like poly. Shellac will yellow.

It would look neat if the markings were burned or branded into the wood. Consider that route over vinyl decals.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Is the decal already attached? Do you want to mark on it and the marks stay permanent?

No, I would prefer to Lacquer over the vinyl so that it's permanent.

I'd also like to keep the natural color of the wood. I think it's really pretty.

If the decal is not already on the wood, i would use a thin coat of finish first( let that dry really well) then apply the decal then finish( 2-3 coats) over that. the decal will probably adhere better to finish than raw wood.

I would use polycrylic as its water based. I would be concerned that a solvent based finish( like regular polyurethane or lacquer) might damage the decal or its markings.

21f598a0-b296-4cea-84aa-2a3641b46ce7_1000.jpg

I would think a satin finish would accept a sharpie mark better than gloss. Gloss might work fine, i just don't know.

As you make marks on the height chart, you could periodicaly seal those marks under.
I would use a spray polycrylic for this, so you don't mar the marks with a brush.

e1cd8d57-f650-41c4-9732-b4bf86084bd2_1000.jpg

If you use this finish, it does look milky when applied, but it will dry clear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
It would look neat if the markings were burned or branded into the wood. Consider that route over vinyl decals.

I agree, that would be neat and unique. I'm not sure how I can realistically and economically make that happen. I'd rather put that extra money into the little one's college fund.

OK, for things that must remain tough for a long time (like wood trim in a kitchen say...), I use a technique that we used in the boat yards for many years. None of this is water based ...

Sand to 100 grit. If you need a furniture grade finish, sand to 150 and let the sand paper dull on the final few passes.

Use an alcohol based stain. Often referred to as Analin Dye... If you want natural skip this step. But alcohol based stains dry really quick and you can keep working. And you can blend them and lighten them with post stain alcohol rub-downs.

Flood the surfaces with CPES. It will slightly darken the wood and it will pop the grain (visually). CPES is an easy to use 1:1 mix and it cleans up with alcohol. Apply with bristle chip brush and wipe down quickly so no runs. Wear gloves.

Once the CPES starts to set pretty well and becomes tacky to the touch so it will leave a good finger print, start coating with Minwax Polyurethane. Other brands are iffy. Some will not work... I use satin for build coats. Let that first coat dry as the CPES is curing. They will form a permanent bond that will be nearly indestructible
smile.gif

Rub down the piece with scotch-brite pads, no sanding. Apply another coat the next day. Once you get up to day 6 and coat 5, you can start sanding. 150 grit DA, or 220 grit DA. Be quick and do not take off more than the high spots. Do not go down to the bond layer, ever.

Three or so more coats and it should be good to go
laugh.gif

It'll look a mile deep. It'll be washable and wipe-able with 409/Fantastic. You can remove marker ink with alcohol and it will not touch it.

Other than catalyzed conversion varnish, which must be sprayed, this is as durable as it gets
smile.gif

Last edited:
I will suggest to think over, if you finish it though, how are you going to be able to write on it to record the heights?.

The large sentimental value of a growth chart is to have has actual handwritten marks on it taken at that special point in time, more than just a logbook of heights.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I will suggest if you finish it though, how are you going to be able to write on it to record the heights?.

Part of the sentimental value is to have a chart that has actual marks on it taken at that special point in time, more than just a logbook of heights.

I was thinking of a solid color floor tape that you would use in a gym with my child's name and date on it. I would cut it into thin strips.

I'm also open for suggestions?

It would be cool to notch the height and crave a date into it......

Last edited:
even though it's irreversabile, there's something more sentimental about actually scratching in a mark or writing on the wood itself... since a caveman made a cave painting to the shawshank redemption, making your mark makes it yours and permanent.

There's also something to be said about for whom are you protecting the finish for?

The kids will also like to either see their parent's handwriting, or as they get older maybe sign their own name and date.

I would say just use a very light stain, or even a white stain and then allow the marks to be made.
If perhaps after 18years, and kids are all grown, then put a finish over it.

Last edited:
even though it's irreversabile, there's something more sentimental about actually scratching in a mark or writing on the wood itself... since a caveman made a cave painting to the shawshank redemption, making your mark makes it yours and permanent.

There's also something to be said about for whom are you protecting the finish for?

The kids will also like to either see their parent's handwriting, or as they get older maybe sign their own name and date.

I would say just use a very light stain, or even a white stain and then allow the marks to be made.

Regular pencil on unfinished wood is VERY permanent, probably more than Sharpie marker that can fade over time. I can still see pencil marks on an exposed lath house I built 2 decades ago. I like your ideas raytseng. Put the finish on it when they graduate high school.

And, I missed Bandito's wood burning comments.....credit goes to YOUR great idea.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Regular pencil on unfinished wood is VERY permanent, probably more than Sharpie marker that can fade over time. I like your ideas raytseng.

And, I missed Bandito's wood burning comments.....credit goes to YOUR great idea.
cheers3.gif

I like this idea too. You're trying to create a memory. There will be lots of time to finish it when they're all grown up.

Conversion Varnish
Just cause I like conversation varnish

Last edited:
How I'd do it:

Get a wood-burning tool and do the work yourself. It's easy!

Then, finish it with a quantity polyurethane. I like Behlen Rockhard for applications that need to last.

Finally, get some small 1" x 3" brass plaques with a screwhole at each end. When they have a child, present them with the plaques that are engraved with the child's name and ages 1-18. At each birthday, they'll screw a new plaque to the chart. It'll look classy and last forever.

Share photos of the completed project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back