Mobil 1 in for 1 year, 2 months, change or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Mobil 1 5w30 in my 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 for 1 year, 2 months and 8500 miles. Change it or give it more miles?

Just changed the oil in my wife's Rabbit as it was over a year old. 5500 miles, 13 months. Change it.

robert

I'd change it. Not because the oil is shot, but the once a year admonition is in place and it's time to do an overall inspection
smile.gif

Don't Panic everyone! How about take a sample for UOA, leave it in pending results.

I would think about changing it. By that I mean whenever you get around to getting the oil change supplies (if you don't have new oil and filter already) and approximately with the next time you feel like doing the change. For me in that position that would be around 2 weeks. Then it will pop into my head and I'll do it.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Don't Panic everyone! How about take a sample for UOA, leave it in pending results.

You could, and it would be interesting. Best case scenario you squeeze another 3,000 miles out of it. Not worth it. Change.

I thought the OP was going to say the vehicle in question had 3000 miles or so not 8500 miles.

Just read the owners manual lube section about max recommended OCI, as it will list both the mileage (Or OLM figures) and time interval limits. Don't go past the max recommended mileage or OLM reading, BUT I would ignore the time interval if you are using a major brand FS oil AND an OEM oil filter (The main risk is a failure of the oil filter O ring). 2 years is fine.

No oil can handle acid very well beyond 5000 miles.

The best oil in the world is the Castrol Edge line.

See my other posts for details..

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Originally Posted By: Kuato

You could, and it would be interesting. Best case scenario you squeeze another 3,000 miles out of it. Not worth it. Change.

The cost of the UOA is the same (or more) than an oil change. What's the UOA going to tell you? Go another few months and 2K miles? Just change it. Living in PA with cold winters doesn't help. In a more temperate climate maybe you could go to 10K-12K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back