2005 PRIUS WITH 250K

Status
Not open for further replies.
with these older generation hybrids, is there a preferred oil wt at this mileage ?

my climate is 116* in the summer and *40ish in the winter.

im temped to run full syn 10w30 but id like to hear what some of you all think/use

the accepted solution here is
-you must be doing something right at that age! so keep doing it!

i think 10W30/HM oil will be need it only if you have problems (didn't see any in your post)

Maxlife removed the 75000 mile odometer off its bottle sticker because its marketing nonsense. There are no specific miles to change oils. You change only when there is a reason to. Keep doing what you're doing, its working!

i think it has 10w30 bulk oil from my work in it. all prius/cars/trucks get 10w30 syn blend ( buy it by the drum )

i bought the car from a guy who bought it from my company. ended up not liking it and i picked it up almost free.

im on the line with believing 1030 is magical --- or that religious 5k intervals with oil is what keeps these little motors singing.

this is basically why im asking here. i know first hand how issue free these motors are running factory oil/bulk oil and having several prius sitting out the front door with 450k+ i dont think i could go wrong with 1030 full syn

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
with these older generation hybrids, is there a preferred oil wt at this mileage ?
Use the Toyota Synthetic oil. It is essentially Mobil 1 with a toyota label, but they altered the formula for higher MPG.

Sometimes it costs less too

i think it has 10w30 bulk oil from my work in it. all prius/cars/trucks get 10w30 syn blend ( buy it by the drum )

i bought the car from a guy who bought it from my company. ended up not liking it and i picked it up almost free.

im on the line with believing 1030 is magical --- or that religious 5k intervals with oil is what keeps these little motors singing.

this is basically why im asking here. i know first hand how issue free these motors are running factory oil/bulk oil and having several prius sitting out the front door with 450k+ i dont think i could go wrong with 1030 full syn

Full syn changes some stuff:
I think you just answered your question

We have a company 2012 Prius with 330K miles all on 5w-30 Mobil 1 and NAPA filters. The oil comes from Costco and the filters come from the local NAPA store when they have their annual sale or sometimes other brands and places.

The main battery was replaced at somewhere around 250K, a planned for expense. The 12V service battery failed unexpectedly once and required a tow. Right now the most annoying electrical problem is that this car eats low beam headlights. We keep extra bulbs and gloves in a sealed plastic bag. Before replacing the bulb we smack the headlight assembly with the heal of your hand and that works several times before replacing the bulb. The special service was done by Toyota and both headlights assemblies have been replaced and the problem appears to be under control, now.

The front brakes went about 200K and the rears are still there. The shocks/struts have been replaced.

Some drivers get about 30-35 mpg and most others get 45-48 mpg. Those that get the lower mileage avoid driving the car and that's good for the car. Other drivers including me play the arcade game of driving such a car and I often get 50 or more miles per gallon. If you accept the car for what it is it's kind of fun to play the game.

This Prius is a like it or hate it deal. There does not appear to be much middle ground. One interesting thing is that you can ignore everything about hybrid vehicles and saving the planet and just drive the car with no idea or concern about all that neat stuff going on somewhere in the car. Overall I'd say Toyota hit it out of the park with this car.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Use the Toyota Synthetic oil. It is essentially Mobil 1 with a toyota label, but they altered the formula for higher MPG.

Sometimes it costs less too

The only thing that TGMO has in common with M1 is that XOM blends and bottles both oils.
Different add packs and different basestock blends with TGMO being Grp III.
There are numerous VOAs and UOAs here that demonstrate this as well as links to MSDS/SDS documentation.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
The original spec for that car was 5w-30, and a few years later I believe that Toyota back spec'ed 0w-20 to it.

That is a can of worms and admittedly a bit confusing, but they did not back spec it at least in the US according to Toyota CS.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
The original spec for that car was 5w-30, and a few years later I believe that Toyota back spec'ed 0w-20 to it.

That is a can of worms and admittedly a bit confusing, but they did not back spec it at least in the US according to Toyota CS.

Agree. no official backspec'ing, LOL.
not that it matters much. 5W30 usually shears down to 5W20.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Some drivers get about 30-35 mpg and most others get 45-48 mpg.

LOL, when females in my family drive my prius, they get 40mpg. when it's driven by my son or myself we get 50+.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

The chart that has been discussed here many times///

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachme...pplications.pdf

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Some drivers get about 30-35 mpg and most others get 45-48 mpg.

LOL, when females in my family drive my prius, they get 40mpg. when it's driven by my son or myself we get 50+.

The exact phenomenon occurs with my wifes prius.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back