Mini Tach for small engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed a tach to set the speed on the toro 2450 snowblower and also for next year to set the various settings on my Deere 212.

I had to replace the carb years ago on the snowblower because it was plastic and warped after 16 years.
The new metal one is much nicer.. but the only adjustment is bending the Governor.. still I think its slowed down as I had the new carb on for almost 5 years now and only in the last 2 years has it seemed to get weaker.
Picked up this cheap KEDSUM "upgrade" version from amazon.. seems to work ok.

I felt the snowblower was running low rpm.. spec is 4000 +-10%
It was running 3280 idle, 3190 with paddles.
I bumped it up to aprox 3900, with paddles running its 3840. Sounds like its screaming now... like it did 5 years ago. I could have went slightly farther but it is a 21 year old rtek.. no need to push it.

If it blows up a toro 721RC is in my future.

I paid 13.99$ for the upgrade version (battery replaceable)
the regular version seems to die and battery isnt replaceable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YTXKKDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its temp mounted only until I have a chance to see it operate fully warmed up and under load..
I could perm. mount it with a couple screws easy enough if I wanted to.
IMG_20161209_163501.jpg

IMG_20161209_163404.jpg

It is a 150$ tach no.. will it work and be much better than guessing? yes.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
BTW, see you're in NE Ohio...are you east side or west side? Are you in the lake effect bands?

Near Akron, I had to drive up past northfield but the snow is mostly all east of there too.

We get what is called the "secondary lake effect bands"
The primary ends about 15miles NE from me.. and of course the more NE towards ashtabula the worse it is usually.

Snow-removal-cleveland-3.jpg

I'm NE summit county where the 50-60/60-70 orange band.

I think the key rpm is 3600 for small engines, unless that's just some government mandate. I know lawn mowers are governed to 3200 but that's because of blade tip speed restrictions.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I think the key rpm is 3600 for small engines, unless that's just some government mandate. I know lawn mowers are governed to 3200 but that's because of blade tip speed restrictions.

That Toro snowblower is a 2 stroke engine. It's designed for higher RPM.

Most small engines are configured for 3600RPM. The reason is fairly simple. We have a 60HZ electrical system and 3600 RPM gives exactly 60HZ with a 2 pole generator.

FYI, 21 inch lawn mowers typically operate at lower than 3600 RPM, for blade safety reasons.

Well somehow I managed to nail it in one try.

we are in the middle of about 8" so I took a couple passes with a snow shovel and mounded it up..

I hit the rest of the driveway and 200ft of sidewalk to warm up the toro 2450.

I then hit the 10" packed mound (it was 20ft long) and it ran 3990rpm under load and 4050 idling after warmup.. it would gradually idle down to 4000.

It was throwing 30ft+. also the new paddles are great.

Works better than a new one again.

(I have a couple poulan pro at other houses I use).

I would love about 12" of snow to try out the toro on now.. it just pulls and throws amazing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back