Mr Funnel micron rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just emailed the tech support about what the micron rating for their funnels are and their response was "50 micron".
Now my only question would be if that is sufficient to filter out any fine dirt/sediment from a gas container that was filled with contaminated gas. A suggestion was to use coffee filters as an alternative. Anyone know what a coffee filter's micron rating is?

Paper towels are designed to be absorbent, while coffee filters are designed to filter coffee, but with a typical pore size of 20 microns (or micrometers), they are not a particularly good filter in general.

Mine is used to top up my smaller boat with gasoline.
The boat has both a spin on filter and fine motor filter - so the funnel is just stage 1 of 3 ...

Just so you know.
.001 of an Inch equals 25.4 Microns
so,
.002 would equal about 50 Microns

I have one of those Mr. Funnels.
I haven't really had the need to use it.

I showed my Nephew how gasoline goes thru it, but not Water.
I felt like a Magician.

Many water separator, first stage filters on heavy duty engines are 50 micron. Cummins ISX 15L comes to mind. The main purpose, just like the Mr. Funnel, is to catch the water and major particulates. Then the secondary fuel filters can finish the job of all the smaller stuff. A Detroit DD15 has 4 fuel filters. Each incrementally tighter than the previous. But again, the first of all of those is a water separator higher micron version. Most of what accidentally gets into a fuel can is going to be larger than what a Mr. Funnel is rated at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back