The best conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery in One of my hybrids is dying a slow death, so engine protection is no longer a concern. It's clear to me the engine will still be running perfectly, when the battery suddenly dies. Then the car is junk.

- Pennzoil Yellow Bottle at 10W-40 is what I ran in my Dodge Shadow until the head gasket blew (160,000 miles). Then I switched to Mobil Delvac and ran to 360,000 miles. The PYB performed well.

- What about Mobil Super? Better? Equal? Worse?

- Some other conventional?

- Any sales or rebates?

PYB, VWB, Mobil Super 5000.

Can't go wrong with any of them.

Always keep an eye on Mobil 1 and Pennzoil websites, they frequently run $10 rebate per 5qt jug, making it a no-brainer over dino. Valvoline doesn't seem to run the rebates, not that I've ever seen though, maybe others have.

Oh and for the insignificant price difference, Valvoline MaxLife SynBlend (red bottle) has always been a safe bet.

Last edited:
Smittys SuperS is onsale at Kmart right now. I think its $7.49 for a 5qt jug. Good oil at a great price.

The best oil on a dying car is one that makes it easier for you to save up for the down payment on your new car.

So that would probably be WM Super tech, case of trop artic from Sam's, or any oil you can get with a rebate or clearance pricing.

I really don't think you can go wrong as long as the oil is API certified and from a reputable source.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
417k on our shop truck. It gets what's cheapest. Usually proline or napa oil.

This^^^

If eminent death is on the horizon, you cannot go wrong with anything meeting the pedestrian API/ILSAC specs.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Smittys SuperS is onsale at Kmart right now. I think its $7.49 for a 5qt jug. Good oil at a great price.
I have never, ever, never heard of Smitty's Oil. I will look at my options when I visit NAPA tonight. Typically I have Pep Boys change my oil for $20 labor so that's:

$20+20 == 40 total for M1 service
$12+20 == 32 for Napa Synthetic service (20% saved)
$8 +20 == 28 for Smitty's or PYB service (30% saved)

No such thing as "best" oil.

I'd say any conventional you can get that is SN rated and is $1/$2 a qt is a "best" case scenario.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One

I'd say any conventional you can get that is SN rated and is $1/$2 a qt is a
"best" case scenario.

+1

Originally Posted By: Bud_One

I'd say any conventional you can get that is SN rated and is $1/$2 a qt is a "best" case scenario.

Blasphemy
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
The battery in One of my hybrids is dying a slow death, so engine protection is no longer a concern. It's clear to me the engine will still be running perfectly, when the battery suddenly dies. Then the car is junk.

- Pennzoil Yellow Bottle at 10W-40 is what I ran in my Dodge Shadow until the head gasket blew (160,000 miles). Then I switched to Mobil Delvac and ran to 360,000 miles. The PYB performed well.

- What about Mobil Super? Better? Equal? Worse?

- Some other conventional?

- Any sales or rebates?

The cheapest oil, especially a veryLIGHT one being you're in MN. Mmmm,mmmm! Love me some 5w-20!
grin.gif

Last edited:
USE THE OIL FINDER GUIDE PAGE OF YOUR "BEST" MAJOR BRAND ENGINE OIL COMPANY TO SEE WHICH OIL THEY RECOMMEND.
Otherwise all you will get is unreliable recommendations.

Looks OK for a short OCI (3000 miles?).

It lacks enough detergents for a long OCI, unless you use an idle flush additive before the oil & filter change.

UPDATE:

Visited walmart and Costco. Their conventional oils were only a few cents cheaper than NAPA synthetic ($2.99) so I obtained the Napa. I also like the wider 0W-20 which was not available in a conventional oil.

My son is running Mobil Super in his new Chrysler 200S. He runs it to the OLM - about 8000+ miles - no issues. Pentastar V6 holds 6 quarts so I doubt it's stressed.

Six quarts helps doesn't it?? I think larger capacity helps a lot when it comes to maintaining oils performance over a long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back