Cold start tick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

it sounded like a can of marbles rolling down hill.

Laugh !!!
Is it OK if I use that one ?

Interesting - had an old school Bronco we dropped a 351 Cleveland in - and ran on M1 - in hindsight could of fed the lifters stiffer oil - but we just played in the dunes back then and everyone was sold on M1 for the high temperature belief system in our heads ... and thought nothing of dumping in 3k without telling Father BITOG in a public confession
wink.gif

Owned it 3 years and made money flipping it - was still running great ...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That protective film you got with the ACDelco blend is nonexistent with M1.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Mobil 1 made my former 2000 GM LS1 tick. Went back to conventional and never touched Mobil 1 since and never will. Lot of advertising hype with that stuff.

Ridiculous.

A 500 hp C7R can do 12 hours at Sebring with M1 but a Malibu can't make it to work in Minnesota with it? Any M1 will protect that car far better than any dino ACDelco available. I don't even use the stuff that often but because you heard something doesn't mean it wasn't FULLY protected and ,if pushed to the limits, is protected BETTER than whatever conventional you swear by if started unassisted with plugging in.

I asked in another thread, but OP I'm assuming you are in IF, MN. *Icebox of the lower 49
wink.gif

You are plugging in with an oil pan heater or block heater right?

Keep in mind, even if the oil is warmed more than ambient temp, the valvetrain can still be cold. Its just a side effect of the metals changing temp and warming up. It may sound louder at first but nothing is being hurt.

The older BMW I6 engines are quite notorious for draining back after sitting for a time. Ticking on cold start is just the oil finding its way where it needs to be. I wouldn't worry, the oil has formed a protective film that should last more than long enough for the brief 'patter-patter' at startup.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
My wife's car...12 Malibu 2.4 has not exhibited this before on ac delco blend but recently we switched to m1 ep 5w30. Now when it sits over night and gets cold it tics or clatters momentarily on startup. Why does the m1 do this when the oem blend did not?

I am concerned and am considering switching back...

Go back to what works. I can't stand my engine being noisy at start up....

Well, except the wife's Subaru, I hate that car but can't seem to kill it.

Last edited:
The ac delco is not a conventional oil. Its Reported to be made from several different synthetic base stocks

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Dealer tells me it is semi synthetic - how much synthetic ?

Not enough for me to ever take a Honda to the dealer for a change!

Yep - know a guy who puts 1qt of M1 in with Mobil Super - not sure what that does but he is one of the few who has a rough idea how much synthetic - GIII at least ...

Yep - know a guy who puts 1qt of M1 in with Mobil Super - not sure what that does but he is one of the few who has a rough idea how much synthetic - GIII at least ...

Some like SOPUS actually claim a 50/50 blend for their Syn Blends. Most "conventional" 5W-20s are already blends...

First..thanks everyone for the insight...

Update...the car stopped the cold start tick. Last two days it was nice and quiet after a full cold soak outside. No idea what changed

Same oil in my truck with a thread up fram ultra is perfectly quiet...and has been

Last edited:
Looked on website - I did not find any info on that - just ad stuff and specs it meets.
Actually have it in the Fusion right now.

Looked on website - I did not find any info on that - just ad stuff and specs it meets.
Actually have it in the Fusion right now.

Hey 4WD - Pennzoil Gold Synthetic blend is a 50/50 mix of synthetic base oil and conventional with synthetic additives.

-The Pennzoil Team

I've heard if you don't run a Hengst filter you will have drain back issues. We have a very slight noise on ours that is gone now moving to Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. I've heard that top end nose running the K&N PS 7000 that persists and has a more metallic sound.

The filter should 'click in' and spin freely on the housing once seated. It appears Hengst designed the canister itself judging by the name on the filter housing.

Last edited:
Thanks - Gold should be good oil for the Hybrid - that car does plenty work on electric - can save a bit of money to put PP/M1 in the EcoBoost ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back