Driving Slow saves far more money than Rebates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just reading the rebate section, where people mail-in rebates for oil, tires, whatever to save 10-20 dollars. There's a far easier way to save 100s of dollars:

I slowed my SUV from 70 to 55, and my MPG jumped +10.
Over a year/20,000 miles that will be $400 saved in gasoline.

ASIDE: Another way to save on gasoline is get a Visa from AAA (the autoclub). 3% off gasoline. So a $50 fill is only $48.5 on your credit bill.

It does save money-as long as you don't get rear-ended on the interstates! I actually will use back roads, US routes, etc. when possible-hold it to 55-60, much less stressful & fewer construction zone & accident traffic jams.

Yep, driving slower does increase mileage. Also, check tire pressure. Many neglect that. Find a gas station that charges the same price for cash and credit. Quick Check, BJs, Costco and Wawa does that.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
An SUV jumping 10 mpg by slowing down 15 mph? Yeah, ok.

I believe it. If I go over 60mph on the Duratec, mileage drops like a rock. At 60, I get 27-29mpg. Over 60, I get 20-22. BIG difference.

I've found with heavier vehicles especially, accelerating slowly and steadily and just coasting and anticipating lights and traffic saves the most gas. Love the people who race from one stop light to the next and get nowhere fast!

Glad you decided to stop speeding.

But if you're talking about being a slug on the highway, i.e driving 55 in a 70, that's a dangerous way to save money.

Virtually all vehicles are the most efficient at 55 mph; if not right there, then very close to there. So you will always get the best fuel consumption at that speed.

Mostly useful to know so that if you are low on fuel and need to make it to the next gas station, you can at least get the longer range with what you have in the tank.

I would not be the least bit surprised to learn the difference between 55 and 70 could be 10 mpg. It would be very vehicle-specific, but hardly unheard of.

In my Miata, the difference between driving for maximum economy and maximum fun is almost 15 mpg.

Lower rolling resistance tires help a lot too. Almost glad the OEM tires on the Scion met their fate when I had to get a new pair.
I was told that if your vehicle is over 100k and your getting a new set of tires get the alignment checked. Both front wheels were towed out. Hard to tell on the transit as we went into the deep freeze so mileage went down with the temperature and doesn't help the winds this week were over 30

Originally Posted By: 6starprez

But if you're talking about being a slug on the highway, i.e driving 55 in a 70, that's a dangerous way to save money.

It depends on what you mean by "highway". If you are referring to a limited-access highway (such as an Interstate in the US) then yes. But highways here have limits based on the conditions: divided highway is 110 km/h (69 mph), two-way highways are 100 (62 mph) and many rural and all unpaved highways are 90 (55 mph).

Since there is no ticket for travelling less than 10 km/h over, the normal right lane traffic speed is 75 on a divided highway.

Also all highways here have wide paved shoulders (1 lane plus about 2 feet) so slow moving traffic can always pull to the shoulder to let someone pass. You can't drive on the shoulder, they will pull you over for that, but a brief and safe entry is fine.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez

Exactly. In my neck of the woods driving at 55 on I-95 from Mystic, CT down to Greenwich, CT increases the odds dramatically of an accident. Most of those will occur because of the other 90% of driver's who prefer 65-85 mph will make crazy maneuvers to get by the traffic jam caused by your driving at 55-60 mph. I see it every day I'm on I-95. A driver doing the low end of the speed limit and a dozen cars stuck behind them all trying to pass at once. The longer it goes on, the more frustrated they become, and the crazier risks they will take to get by another car in that line. Traffic flows very nicely when everyone is doing in 65-70. But toss in those 55-60 mph laggards and the accident rate rises in more congested areas.

The $10 you save in gas, will be negated by the higher cost of accidents....or waiting in stuck traffic for 1-4 hours as a major accident scene is cleared by State Police. How many mpg do you get when stopped? Safest speed on I-95 in CT is typically 65-75 mph...yet the speed limit is 65. And if I do drive 65, I'm getting passed left and right as a rule.

As long as the speed limit is 55 then go for it (in the far right lane). Nothing is worse than a Prius with a coexist sticker on the back doing 55 in the left lane.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I can't stand going slower than 60mph on a major highway on longer trips. My preferred speed is 70-75mph and 80-85mph in the right conditions.

For me, long trips are not that frequent, so driving fast saves time, with little money cost. Also it can be a source of "entertainment" for the driver (I know I pay more attention the more I push my speed).

Now, driving slower on my regular commute would reap $$$, as that's where I spend most of my time. 'cept that's the problem: I want to minimize that time. That, or quite often, I have a full day and a few extra dollars is a small penalty to pay.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
As long as the speed limit is 55 then go for it (in the far right lane). Nothing is worse than a Prius with a coexist sticker on the back doing 55 in the left lane.

Around here it could be anything going 55.

It's a tough one, though: if you're into hypermiling (or just a 55 guy), then left lane exits are annoying. As are high speed toll lanes, or merged highways where you come on from the left, etc.

With a new 4cyl CUV if I get on roads where I'm stuck going 40-50 mph I get 35-38 mpg without traffic.
That drops to 27-30 mph on the Interstate going 70 mph
I waste no time on rebates..........
The only rebate I like is an instant one on the jug.....

It will take you 77.92 hours extra to drive 20,000 miles at 55 mph versus 70 mph. That works out to a savings of $5.13 per hour. Well below minimum wage. It depends on your financial situation, but not sure if that savings is worth the extra danger of driving so far below the speed limit.

I agree with many of the others. Driving much slower than the flow of traffic is more dangerous than moving along with the flow of traffic.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Nothing is worse than a Prius with a coexist sticker on the back doing 55 in the left lane.

HAHA, SO TRUE!

Originally Posted By: supton
KrisZ said:
Also it can be a source of "entertainment" for the driver (I know I pay more attention the more I push my speed).

Agree, I typically set the cruise at about 10 over which is the normal traffic speed. I need to be passing people to stay engaged, especially on 10hr drive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
An SUV jumping 10 mpg by slowing down 15 mph? Yeah, ok.
Well it also helped that it's a Hybrid SUV with an Atkinson cycle engine. PLUS: kinetic energy is the SQUARE of velocity:

Drag = Cd * A * .5 * r * V^2
Drag1 == C*A*.5*r* (70mph)^2 == .5CAr *4900
Drag2 == C*A*.5*r* (55mph)^2 == .5CAr *3000. So in other words you drop just 15 mph but you save almost 40% in energy burned. A car that used to average 25mpg will now average

25mpg*140% == 35mph (approximately)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back