BMW 2012 528i xDrive Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what's the best oil in my current stock to use for the next oil change.
Car is a 2012 BMW 528i xDrive with a turbo 4 cylinder. Currently 58k miles. I live in the Northeast. Drive about 2500 miles a month and mostly highway at 80+mph in eco mode. But whenever the mood strikes, I do drive hard. I regularly hit 100mph+ on the highway and have been up to 135mph. (Love my commute)

Mobil 1 0w40, 5w30, or 10w30
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 or 10w30
Valvoline Synpower 5w30
Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w30

M1 0w40 is probably the only approved oil for that car, it gets my vote 100% of the time.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Just wondering what's the best oil in my current stock to use for the next oil change.
Car is a 2012 BMW 528i xDrive with a turbo 4 cylinder. Currently 58k miles. I live in the Northeast. Drive about 2500 miles a month and mostly highway at 80+mph in eco mode. But whenever the mood strikes, I do drive hard. I regularly hit 100mph+ on the highway and have been up to 135mph. (Love my commute)

Valvoline Synpower 5w30

Glad I don't commute on those roads with you. Yikes.

I guess I'd get the cheapest of those oils and save the rest for a traffic lawyer.

None of those oils have LL-01 approval, but if those are my choices I'd pick 0W-40 M1.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
None of those oils have LL-01 approval, but if those are my choices I'd pick 0W-40 M1.

+1

+2

Agreed. Not sure why Castrol 0W-40 or dealer oil isn't being considered though.

Originally Posted By: jayg

I guess I'd get the cheapest of those oils and save the rest for a traffic lawyer.

Here we go again.

Do you have anything RELEVANT to add?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Here we go again.

He's got a point. 135mph during commuter hours? In a 65 you go right to jail. I'd rather have him at a .10 BAC driving 55mph than him driving sober at over a 100 during commuter hours.

Valvoline Synpower 5w30

Non of them meets LL-01, but if those are ONLY options go with M1 0W40 and stay away for others like from plague!
Try to find Castrol 0W40 (local Wal Mart) or Castrol 0W30 (AZ or AAP), Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 or just order one of those oils online on Amazon.
Hitting 135mph with ANY of those oils expect M1 0W40 is inviting sludge to your engine with that twin scroll turbo.

Last edited:

Here we go again.

Here we go again? Have we ever interacted previously?

Anyway I fail to see how bragging about reckless driving is relevant on picking an oil either?

Here we go again.

Anyway I fail to see how bragging about reckless driving is relevant on picking an oil either?

What is so reckless in BMW going 135mph?
Reckless driving is driving 10mph below speed limit in left lane creating 2 mile pile up where people pass over in right lane and then create accidents. Reckless driving is that those same people who drive 10mph below speed limit in 75mph zone, continue to drive 65mph in 45mph construction zone, while driving on cheapest possible set of tires they could find.
There are a lot of instances of reckless driving before we come to BMW and 135mph that behaves better on road then Prius going 60mph.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

On a stretch of dry empty highway with good site lines during daylight hours, nothing.
Commuting in traffic?
Everything.

Here we go again.

Reckless driving is driving 10mph below speed limit in left lane creating 2 mile pile up where people pass over in right lane and then create accidents. Reckless driving is that those same people who drive 10mph below speed limit in 75mph zone, continue to drive 65mph in 45mph construction zone, while driving on cheapest possible set of tires they could find.
There are a lot of instances of reckless driving before we come to BMW and 135mph that behaves better on road then Prius going 60mph.

Your point about slow left lane drivers is true. How this negates that by law, 135mph on any US road is reckless driving, i don't know. Also, who said anything about a Prius?
...and i am no angel mind you.

Weird, I had no idea M1 0w40 was no longer(?) LL-01. Oh well, it's still a great oil and more importantly for me, still 229.5.
smile.gif

Here we go again.

Not bragging, just trying to give some relevant detail about what I put my oil through. Believe it or not, I'm quite responsible when it comes to getting up to those speeds. And with the right conditions, you would be surprised how easy it is to do. I don't tailgate, cut people off, run people out of the left lane, etc. Open stretches of road with no one around. I usually travel in the opposite direction of general traffic, so my roads are usually open, even at peak rush hour. The toll roads are even further open. I usually get out late as well around 8pm, so there's not many people on the road. But I digress, this is not about traffic laws and violations. About my oil change. I appreciate your concern though

Last edited:

Agreed. Not sure why Castrol 0W-40 or dealer oil isn't being considered though.

Wanted to use what I currently have in my stock pile. Not really interested in getting new oil, unless it can be had for $2 a quart. I usually tend to jump on synthetic deals and rebates to bring my cost down to around there. If you're paying more $2-$3 per quart for synthetic, you're doing it wrong. My philosophy anyway.
Does the LL-01 really matter though? Considering I'm doing mostly highway miles, I would think any of the oils will do just fine if I change it when the computer tells me to

Valvoline Synpower 5w30

Non of them meets LL-01, but if those are ONLY options go with M1 0W40 and stay away for others like from plague!
Try to find Castrol 0W40 (local Wal Mart) or Castrol 0W30 (AZ or AAP), Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 or just order one of those oils online on Amazon.
Hitting 135mph with ANY of those oils expect M1 0W40 is inviting sludge to your engine with that twin scroll turbo.

Driving at high speeds can cause sludge??

Does the LL-01 really matter though? Considering I'm doing mostly highway miles, I would think any of the oils will do just fine if I change it when the computer tells me to

Your computer's assumption is that the oil you are using is an LL-01 oil, which means it's capable of such long drain intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back