Is there a moly grease that carries GC-LB rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know normally a moly grease does not carry the wheel bearing (GC) NLGI approval, but are there any that figured out how to run Moly in a high speed application that got the GC-LB approval?

Most of the modern moly greases I've seen carry the GC-LB rating. Atleast here in Canada.

Originally Posted By: SD51555
I know normally a moly grease does not carry the wheel bearing (GC) NLGI approval, but are there any that figured out how to run Moly in a high speed application that got the GC-LB approval?

Few question before I give answers.
1. How high is the high-speed application? Any DN number?
2. Do you have schock loads - if yes can you qunatify them?
3. What is the main reason to search for molly grease?

I've heard Moly plates out in high speed applications. I had a guy tell me anything spinning faster than 1800 rpm would plate out and I'd roast my bearings.

Originally Posted By: SD51555
I've heard Moly plates out in high speed applications. I had a guy tell me anything spinning faster than 1800 rpm would plate out and I'd roast my bearings.

Hi is right.
High DN rolling applications - especially needle bearing dont like moly.
I know that molly is hype now. Grase manufacture try to profit of it an introduce GC-LB greses with minimal % of moly but just enough to be on label.
In general greases with moly lower dan 3% moly can be GC-LB certified - and sell at premium product.
Back to my questions - What is your application ?Do you really need Moly?

Last edited:
It is not the rpm-s that determine usage of moly or not it is the speed factor Dn

http://www.skf.com/group/products/bearin...fill/index.html

http://www.klueber.com/ecomaXL/files/Lubrication_of_rolling_bearings_tips_and_advice.pdf

or just put it simple larage slow 1000rpm bearing can be subject of skiding in case of moly grease while small 6mm beariung can live at 10,000rpm

=======
2. the beraing construction - needle rolling ,ball
3. material steel or ceramics
4.bearing construction/sealing etc

In general there are many factors - the simple mechanic rule is 1000....2000rpm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back