alternator wire kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
THINKING (PLANNING) TO PUT A LARGER ALT. IN 3.7 V6 DODGE. WHAT IS THE COMMON NAME FOR THE KITS THAT CONSIST OF WIRES TO ALTERNATOR? i BELIEVE THEY PROVIDE BETTER CURRENT FLOW AND GROUND. Also, cable from battery to starter. I have seen those to help starting. Thoughts?

It's not usually a "kit". You need to identify the correct terminals you need on each end of the cable, proper length, and buy an appropriate cable.

Given the areas that you would like to improve, you are going to need 3 separate cables.

I just went to tractor supply and got the cables from there. I didn't run a bigger one to the alternator but that's always an option. Chryslers use fusible links on a lot of that, so make sure you get yourself a fuse that will blow at higher than the alternator is rated.

It is called a big 3 kit. It made a difference for me to just add the engine ground. after that I didn't see much change in voltage consistency, but for the $50 I paid for mine it never hurts to give the battery and alternator an easier time in life.

Asian cars, at least Hyundai and Kia use the body for ground. Piggybacking a ground wire from the main body ground to the engine block is a good thing to do.

Just buy some 8 gauge wire, some copper ends, cut to length, and solder the ends and make your own. For both power and grounds.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Asian cars, at least Hyundai and Kia use the body for ground. Piggybacking a ground wire from the main body ground to the engine block is a good thing to do.

All vehicles use the body for ground, and have for perhaps a century. The only differences were whether the electrical system used a negative or positive ground; famously Volkswagen Beetles used positive ground, while virtually everyone else used negative ground. Aside from compatibility with various aftermarket electrical devices (car stereos, for example) there is no functional difference, but it's always easier to go with what has become an industry standard, negative ground.

There is always some form of engine to body ground connection in an internal combustion engined car ... otherwise the plugs wouldn't fire. It is possible that the ground could come in the form of a hard mount, but I don't know of any OEM vehicles that don't use rubber or urethane transmission or engine mounts, so there has to be some electrical connection, typically via a cable, somewhere. I suppose it could conceivably be from the battery negative terminal to the frame, as there is always a cable from that terminal to the alternator frame on the motor, which would complete the circuit.

I don't know of any specific issues with Hyundai or Kia vehicles (same factory, same production lines) but perhaps there is an advantage to a supplemental connection.

Was Beetle a pos gnd? Didn't know that, thought it died in the 50's if not before (outside of Mack trucks and farm tractors, perhaps someplace else).

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

All vehicles use the body for ground, and have for perhaps a century. The only differences were whether the electrical system used a negative or positive ground; famously Volkswagen Beetles used positive ground, while virtually everyone else used negative ground. Aside from compatibility with various aftermarket electrical devices (car stereos, for example) there is no functional difference, but it's always easier to go with what has become an industry standard, negative ground.

There is always some form of engine to body ground connection in an internal combustion engined car ... otherwise the plugs wouldn't fire. It is possible that the ground could come in the form of a hard mount, but I don't know of any OEM vehicles that don't use rubber or urethane transmission or engine mounts, so there has to be some electrical connection, typically via a cable, somewhere. I suppose it could conceivably be from the battery negative terminal to the frame, as there is always a cable from that terminal to the alternator frame on the motor, which would complete the circuit.

I don't know of any specific issues with Hyundai or Kia vehicles (same factory, same production lines) but perhaps there is an advantage to a supplemental connection.
I meant the main ground goes to the body and is then distributed to the smaller grounds around the car at point of use.

Fords use the engine block as the main ground. Every load carries it's own ground wire back. My Hyundais use local body points for most of the grounds, those grounds not being used as control or inputs to the BCM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back