Oil burning Crown Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Sounds like a plan to me. What do you suggest? Tear down the engine and overhaul on a car that at best is worth $2000?? He has checked the basics.Since safety is not involved here, it's about economics.

As already noted, yes, 15w-40 would be my preferred option in such a case.

Or 20w-50. The issue as described is blue smoke around startup, when the engine isn't at operating temperature. It would seem, then, that the lower number is perhaps more relevant.

Plus I don't understand this "go up a weight" [censored]-ing about in this (Californian) context, unless marginal fuel economy differences are the reason.

This is an old car on its last legs. Running the heaviest oil it'll take should slow wear rates as well as oil consumption, so it'll buy more time.

The go up a grade does have a bit of wisdom here, although unwitting to most drivers. When one is using a 30 here, it is almost certainly a very low HTHS 30. Then, they're going up to a higher HTHS 40, up to and including a 15w-40. It's not anywhere near like going from a 0w-30 A3/B4 to a 0w-40 A3/B4. We're talking an HTHS of 3.0 up to something possibly as high as 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back