OK XJ Owners... Weigh In

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the condition of the unibody on it? Get some pictures of that?

To me, it looks like just the sheetmetal stuff is rusting. I bet the frame on it is in okay shape. Usually the right rear rail will get a hole behind the bump stop.

Also, while they are unibody, they suffer from frame rot a lot less than Wranglers. The aftermarket now produces many, many options for weld-in frames. My 2000 will be getting one soon.

Originally Posted By: Globalksp
Originally Posted By: dieselfarmboy
Just so you know that thing dont have a frame, they are unibody. I would of run away from that thing so fast, its one pot hole away from breaking in half.

Right... semantics. I've hit my fair share of potholes while living and driving in NYC and only broke a coil spring
wink.gif

All I know is that thing would of never passed Maryland inspection. Whats the suspension brackets look like? I have a mostly rust free 2000 Grand Cherokee and the brake line let go due to rust, hate to see what your lines look like.

Just so you know that thing dont have a frame, they are unibody. I would of run away from that thing so fast, its one pot hole away from breaking in half.

Right... semantics. I've hit my fair share of potholes while living and driving in NYC and only broke a coil spring
wink.gif

All I know is that thing would of never passed Maryland inspection. Whats the suspension brackets look like? I have a mostly rust free 2000 Grand Cherokee and the brake line let go due to rust, hate to see what your lines look like.

Luckily NJ inspection is a simple ODBII plug in and scan by a guy who could care less...

Sections of the brake lines as well as fuel lines have been replaced by the previous owner as well as myself.

Just got a quote for a replacement oil pan and engine mounts to the tune of $600.

Here's some more photos (some of these photos are older and things have been tended to) to make everyone nervous
smirk.gif

Last edited:
To follow through with the original intent of this post... I went with Pennzoil HM 5W-30 and an XG16 and sent the old M1 5W-30/M1-301 off to Blackstone to have a look see.

Oil pan gasket is a pain to change on a stock XJ. Once the oil pan is unbolted, it hits the front axle. You have to use a jack and jack stands and lift the axle just right kind of twisted to get it to slide out. Might as well change rear main seal once the pan is off. Really easy to do once the pan is off.

The UOA will be interesting.

So far, I've been happy with 40 weights in my 4.0. You could also mix 1 quart of 5w20 into 5 quarts of 10w40. I also use 5w40 in my dad's Renix 4.0.

The rust is disappointing, but it sure is a good looking Jeep. Looks like it has sat outside on the dirt it's entire life. My friend has a TJ that about looks like this. The gas tank fell off last year because the rust was so bad on the rear skid plate. The poor thing has just under 100k too.

Last edited:
That's what all cars look like here in Minnesota after 10 years in the salty mess we call winter. I swear they're payed by car manufacturers to salt more.

Cool XJ. Same situtation as my 96 Country, perfect body, undercarriage not so much. Mine spent most of its life in Rockford, IL.

How are the floors on yours? Mine have some holes. Still in the process of getting quotes from restoration shops on getting them redone.

Sorry to threadjack! I'm running the same oil, Pennzoil HM 5W30. Figured 5W30 with as cold as it gets here. I'll go back to 10W30 in the spring.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The UOA will be interesting.

So far, I've been happy with 40 weights in my 4.0. You could also mix 1 quart of 5w20 into 5 quarts of 10w40. I also use 5w40 in my dad's Renix 4.0.

The rust is disappointing, but it sure is a good looking Jeep. Looks like it has sat outside on the dirt it's entire life. My friend has a TJ that about looks like this. The gas tank fell off last year because the rust was so bad on the rear skid plate. The poor thing has just under 100k too.

Aside from the rust, the Jeep is in near-perfect condition. Gets about 18MPG driving around the foothills of the Blue Ridge and 23 on the highway!
It's quite the sad tale. And what's more, the person who owned it for the first 14 years of its life was a mechanic... at a Jeep dealership! He either didn't have a garage (though the paint is in such excellent condition it makes me think he did) or just didn't understand / care about the affects of the salted Ohio roads on the car. For all the maintenance that was regularly done to the vehicle, he HAD to have seen the rust building and actively chose to do nothing about it.

I already had the transmission pan rust out on me, sway bar end links snap, brake lines blow, and the oil pan is due for a swap out. I'll be keeping it through the winter, putting off the tough emotional / practical decision to sell it in the spring.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Cool XJ. Same situtation as my 96 Country, perfect body, undercarriage not so much. Mine spent most of its life in Rockford, IL.

How are the floors on yours? Mine have some holes. Still in the process of getting quotes from restoration shops on getting them redone.

Sorry to threadjack! I'm running the same oil, Pennzoil HM 5W30. Figured 5W30 with as cold as it gets here. I'll go back to 10W30 in the spring.

The floors have been tended to a bit... right under the pedals a tiny hole started to rust through, but nothing major. This photo from the interim owner (I purchased from the 2nd owner who only had it for a few months):

wink.gif

Luckily NJ inspection is a simple ODBII plug in and scan by a guy who could care less...

Sections of the brake lines as well as fuel lines have been replaced by the previous owner as well as myself.

Just got a quote for a replacement oil pan and engine mounts to the tune of $600.

Here's some more photos (some of these photos are older and things have been tended to) to make everyone nervous
smirk.gif

THIS is why is good to have an externally lubricated XJ as they were designed (seemingly) to be.
Mine has oil everywhere, and no rust. Except where the welds are, erm...from when the front doors fell off.
laugh.gif
But I spray that with chain lube to keep the rust at bay
smile.gif

My gas tank fell off earlier this year! haha.

I really want another one. But with no rust. And it's not getting turned into an off road toy.

I love it, I might even say of the 4 vehicles in the fleet it might be the most fun to drive and the one I grab the keys for the most.

I had one for a good while. Loved it. Wife hated it, which was also good cause it meant it was easy to keep her out of my Jeep. Had to buy her a new mini-van to keep her out of my Grand.
frown.gif

Ah.... you're killing me with all the love for the XJ.

I've just come around to thinking it's time to sell the Red Baron.

The rust will be a factor when it comes to pricing, but everything else is excellent. And considering what folks are asking: Comparable XJ's for sale It seems like a smart thing to do.

Last week, I was riding in my buddies 5 speed, Honda HRV. While the XJ is definitely more "me", I was a bit envious of him rowing through the gears and getting 30mpg while doing it.

Why must we get so attached?

Get another 5 speed XJ but just get it from south GA and drive it back. Coat everything in Fluid Film and have another 15 years with one if you want.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Get another 5 speed XJ but just get it from south GA and drive it back. Coat everything in Fluid Film and have another 15 years with one if you want.

That 5 speed XJ seems to be a rare beast.

My old 4.0L 5sp XJ went 230K mainly on 10w30 superflo.
Undercarriage rust really wasnt an issue because it always leaked like crazy. But the rockers where toast.
Gave it to my brother who ran it to 250K with just topping it off with who knows what.
Was still running when he sold.

I currently own two 5 speed XJ's, 99 and 97. Over the last 20 or so years I have owned four 5 speed XJ's, all with high mileage. I use whatever 10/40 oil is on sale and Wix filters...There may be engines that are fussy about motor oil, but not these...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back