Delivery Going To Be Late

Status
Not open for further replies.
One day, a trucker was running late to deliver his load. He had an entire trailer full of cantaloupes that needed to get to it's destination on time or he was going to be losing money. Using some creativity, he had figured out a shorter route than his usual, and was very close to making up lost time.

Trouble is, he didn't quite know the height clearances on his route.

He just thought, "Well, it's a highway and I'm a standard height truck. Ought to be fine!"

What he did not realize is that he had turned onto a Parkway, where trucks are not allowed.......for a reason.

He's going along, looking at the clock and praising himself for having gotten nearly back on schedule when it happens.......

CRUNCH!

All of a sudden everything stops, and everything not bolted down in the cab flies into the windshield.

He grabs his chest because he thinks he's had a heart attack and gets out to appraise the situation, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what has happened.

Standing outside the truck, he looks and sees the roof of his refrigerated trailer is jammed under an overpass. Halfway in, and halfway out. There's just no way he's going to get out of this one. Maybe not even by lowering the pressure in his tires.

He's done. He throws his hat, kicks the ground, lays out a string of profanities, and looks up at the sky.

"How can this get any worse?!?!?"

The sky answers his prayers by sending along a patrol officer.

The patrolman is a typical one. Big in every direction, with what looks like a cowboy hat and mirrored sunglasses. He gets out of his patrol car and assesses the situation.

He takes off his sunglasses and looks at the truck. He looks at the overpass. He looks at the truck driver.

He goes over to the trucker, gives him quite the quizzical stare, and asks, "So, uh, what happened here?".

The trucker can't believe this guy. He gives him a frustrated smile, rolls his eyes, and without any hesitation he gives his reply:

"Well! I was on my way to deliver this here overpass when I ran out of fuel. Got any you can spare????!!!"

whistle.gif

*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I experienced the tremble/rumble when a truck hits an overpass (building right next to overpass)

Funniest two parts are the accident that has nothing to do with the trestle, and the truck that was smart enough to turn off, just to come back and smash itself.

Enterprise and Budget were extremely over represented.

It's easy to say "dumb drivers" but if the same thing keeps happening over and over again - and it obviously does, mightn't the situation be the problem. I'd like to see a warning bar, vehicle height activated flashing lights, "or something" in front of that overpass to give drivers one last chance to stop.

I used to work near just such a low bridge and there was an orange and black striped bar that hung across the roadway at bridge height. Come to think of it, I never saw a truck stuck under that bridge and I drove past it at least 5 times a week for 15 years. But I often saw trucks pulled off to the side waiting for heavy traffic to clear so they could back up.

"Accidents" sometimes have their origin in a problem situation.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
It's easy to say "dumb drivers" but if the same thing keeps happening over and over again - and it obviously does, mightn't the situation be the problem. I'd like to see a warning bar, vehicle height activated flashing lights, "or something" in front of that overpass to give drivers one last chance to stop.

I used to work near just such a low bridge and there was an orange and black striped bar that hung across the roadway at bridge height. Come to think of it, I never saw a truck stuck under that bridge and I drove past it at least 5 times a week for 15 years. But I often saw trucks pulled off to the side waiting for heavy traffic to clear so they could back up.

I totally agree. Here's a video from early this year where they have improved the situation (although I think the warning sign could be more aggressive):

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: ecotourist

I totally agree. Here's a video from early this year where they have improved the situation (although I think the warning sign could be more aggressive):

I used to live in Durham N.C. in the 80's, that looks like the Gregson street bridge, that thing got hit like every month!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back