Pennzoil Ultra Platinum experation date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a long time reader on this forum, however never needed to post. I do now have a questions with regards to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 oil.

My new Forester XT requires 5.4L of oil for an OC, and I was able to pick-up a 5L jug on special, however I don't want to split a 5L for just the remaining 0.4-0.5L that I need. I was able to find locally the PUP 5W30 in a 1 Quart bottle (picked up the last 2 they had), however, just noticed when I got home the date stamped on the bottle reads April 2014.

Does the date matter for the oil? Seeing it's almost 3yrs old? Both bottles are sealed (by the looks of it) and stamped the same date 04/2014, and I'm hesitant to use the oil seeing it's almost 3yrs old.

Any feedbacks?

I wouldn't worry about it. Esp. stored indoors 3-5years is fine.

Personally I'd just buy 2 5qt jugs. I rotate through the old one every change.
its a little bit more work when you end up with a 3.5qt jug and a 5qt jug for a 5.4qt oil change but not really bad.. just have to pay attention to detail.

Pennzoil says its oils have a shelf life of 4 years if properly stored. This is probably conservative so you should be just fine. It wouldn't hurt to give the bottles a good shake before using.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I wouldn't worry about it. Esp. stored indoors 3-5years is fine.

Personally I'd just buy 2 5qt jugs. I rotate through the old one every change.
its a little bit more work when you end up with a 3.5qt jug and a 5qt jug for a 5.4qt oil change but not really bad.. just have to pay attention to detail.

Thanks for your feedback, I did buy 2 5L jugs, but wanted to use them for 2 different oil changes, and buying quarts to top off was just easier and simpler to keep in the event my car will burn any oil.

So the oil being almost 3yrs old doesn't matter you are saying?

Originally Posted By: Danh
Pennzoil says its oils have a shelf life of 4 years if properly stored. This is probably conservative so you should be just fine. It wouldn't hurt to give the bottles a good shake before using.

Thanks, I'm actually trying to find this information from Pennzoil without much luck. Saves me the hassle from calling them!

Sell by or use by date ??

Either way, try for a refund AND keep the oil if possible, as Gods own liquid Gold will last forever if not opened!

The oil is fine, I am curious all of these threads that pop up over time someone always suggests to shake the bottle before dumping the oil into the engine. What exactly is shaking the bottle going to accomplish that the oil pump isn't?

I suspect that the expiration date is when the additives start to fall out of the oil. They will be solids on the bottom of the bottle.

As far as I'm aware the only additive that can fall out of suspension to some extent is good old Moly. So IF the oil contains Moly (About half do), shake the old can!

Normally the retail outlets sell 2-3 year old on discount/clearance. You can always return those for newer bottles.

In any case, it's perfectly fine to use. I have some Pennzoil/Quaker State synthetics dated 2013 that are going to be used this year or next year. The only time I've seen deposits settled out was on some 20 year old M1 15w-40. Those deposits didn't go away by shaking either. It took poking them with a screw driver to break them up.

If the can is sealed, no air can get into, so oil is not depleted by oxidation (the maing aging agent, with shear).
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back