Truck stalls when turning the steering wheel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

At work there is a 1992 gmc 2500 with a 350. This truck has a very unusual problem. It would stall out every single time you crank the steering wheel all the way to the right. This happens only when the transmission is in gear. Forward or reverse it does the same. I need some ideas on wha to check.

What is the idle rpm at when this happens? what condition is the PS fluid in? do the lights fluctuate when this happens?

The PS fluid level is good. The electricity appears to be good. It has a brand new battery and alternator. The RPM will drop suddenly and the engine will stall when the wheel is turned. The sensation of it running out of gas. I forgot to mention it has automatic transmision.

cheers3.gif
I have found out that if one does not turn the steering all the way to the right, your good....

Check the TPS. If it's flaky it will declare an opening slightly above idle and the computer won't think it needs to idle, so won't work the idle speed control motor until it's very late.

This could also include crummy grounds messing up computer readings when the engine rocks around during turns.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Turning all the way to the left doesn't do it?

Nope

Is something in the steering gear contacting a rotating engine part, or electrical wire?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Check the TPS. If it's flaky it will declare an opening slightly above idle and the computer won't think it needs to idle, so won't work the idle speed control motor until it's very late.

This could also include crummy grounds messing up computer readings when the engine rocks around during turns.

This, as an aging TPS(throttle position sensor) can cause a communication error between the throttle plate and ECM, and putting the steering in a bind could be highlighting the condition, causing the engine to stall. Odd that it only does it in one direction, but I've seen stranger things. Poor or corroded grounds can also cause loss of communication in the engine control harness. This usually manifest as backfiring and poor idling. You should have ECM harness grounds on the thermostat housing and front of intake. Also check your negative battery cable where it attaches to the engine.

While I don't know the details of the hydraulic circuit for power steering (if somebody could find them and share, I would be VERY grateful), it sounds like a stuck relief valve, check valve, or pressure control valve. Is there a way to check the power steering pump pressure? If there is...I bet it is going very high when you steer in the direction that is killing the engine when you hit cylinder endstop. The torque the pump draws from the engine is the product of the pressure and the displacement of the pump. If there is no way for the fluid pressure to be relieved, the pressure will build until something breaks or the engine stalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back