NAPA synthetic - why so cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a radio ad for NAPA synthetic, which stated only $2.99 a quart. That's certainly a lot cheaper than the ~5/quart I pay for Mobil 1 at Walmart. So how is the NAPA so cheap?

The VOA shows lots of sodium. Wouldn't that cause rust to the engine, especially in rainy or humid areas? (shrug)
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I can buy M1 and PP for $1.99-$2.60/qt several times during the year. The $2.99 is too much really when oil is so cheap and frequently on sale.
Please enlighten me how to get M1 or Pennzoil Platinum so cheap. (BTW this came from a different post in the VOA section.)

The sodium add pack will certainly not cause rust. NAPA synthetic is good oil. I'm running it right now in my Yukon. As for why it is so cheap, I would say it's a loss-leader used to get people into the stores.

Napa Synthetic has a similar, but not identical, additive package to Valvoline Synpower. Ashland manufactures Napa oils along with Valvoline. It seems like good oil, especially at the price point, but I haven't personally run it in a vehicle yet.

It is a decent oil. Meets SN spec so it is good to go if that is what your car specifies. Sodium is part of the add package that several companies use. Smarter guys can explain why it is not corrosive. Concerning low prices in M1 etc. No matter what price you post on here, someone will complain that it is not a good deal and they got such a better deal. The majors go on sale from time to time and with rebates and closeouts they can be had at low prices. For just walking in this month to Napa and getting a quality synthetic oil for $2.99 qt. IMO not a bad deal.

Bought some for the first time over Thanksgiving. My Pilot hasn't blown up yet so seems fine! From what I've read, the 0W20, more so than the other weights, is almost a dead ringer for SynPower.

Last edited:
I would say the main reason it is "cheap", is due to the fact they don't spend millions upon millions of dollars in advertising like the big brands.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I can buy M1 and PP for $1.99-$2.60/qt several times during the year. The $2.99 is too much really when oil is so cheap and frequently on sale.
Please enlighten me how to get M1 or Pennzoil Platinum so cheap. (BTW this came from a different post in the VOA section.)

Both run $10/5 qt rebates multiple times a year. M1 in spring and fall. Buy it for $20~$25/5qt jug at WM and then get it for $10-$15/jug, + tax. I have been doing this a few years. I bought 10 qts of M1 this fall for net $2.50/qt.

Its got a weaker additive pack its an ok oil on par with supertech.

It sheared down in 4000miles in the hyundai accent that is easy on oil.

Not really a fan. Its more like a good convectional oil vs a stout syn.

I get my Pennzoil Platinum or M1 for less than 15$ per 5qt with rebates.

Okay, the NAPA is a Valvoline product with an add pack similar to that of Synpower.
No, a sodium add pack doesn't cause rust to any engine, although it may lead to hypertension.
There may be advantages to a sodium add pack as one engine shop owner here from Dayton Ohio will attest based upon his teardowns of many engines.
You want cheap PP or M1?
Well, the M1 MIR ended in the October but will likely return in the spring, but with store deals and the MIR I got M1 in various grades for as little as eight bucks a jug. Current store deals plus the still active SOPUS MIR would yield PP for ten bucks a jug, so the deals are out there.
If you don't want to play with chasing deals and MIRs, the NAPA house brand is a solid value at three bucks a quart and is a very good oil.

I used to work for Napa. I used Napa Syn in the following vehicles (all sold or still have none had motor issues)

99 Montana 205,000
93 Cavalier 175,000
07 Grand Prix 155,000
03 Sable 175,000
08 CTS 45,000

Good oil change in spring and fall 8-10K interval give or take. Napa Gold oil filters. Its GF-5 & Dexos licensed. Why pay more?

Dave

Last edited:

PP/M1 were both recently at under $20.00 per jug at WM. File for the $10-$12 rebates and you end up as low as $1.99/qt. During the year at normal $22/jug WM rollback pricing, the rebates will get you into the $2.17-$2.60 range for M1/PP. I've done it half a dozen times in the past year. The M1 rebate ended a couple months ago. The PP runs through December. Even at currently inflated $24.99 WM pricing on PP jugs, the price after rebate would be $2.99....good but not as good as you can often find during the year. No guarantees though that WM rollbacks continue or that rebates for synthetic oils even continue.

As a rule, Napa and Valvoline don't offer the $10-$12 rebates like M1/PP. So if you don't mind taking 10 minutes to fill out the on line submission form and get your oil even cheaper, then by all means buy the rebate-less NAPA synthetics at $2.99 as it is easier.

The VOA shows lots of sodium. Wouldn't that cause rust to the engine, especially in rainy or humid areas?

Sodium is a metal. Sodium does not cause rust.

I speculate its Valvoline SynPower thats "ever so slightly" off spec, that it can't technically be sold with a SynPower label, but its a fantastic oil provided for NAPA. Its likely so very very slightly off spec (by maybe 0.01% for just one component) that in the real world there is no performance differences at all.

Yeah, for DEXOS certified Synthetic at $15 a change, I'll buy lots of that!

Yeah plus there's no Synpower 15W50,only 20W50,so the formula is definitely different,plus Valvoline themselves told in in an email that Napa and Synpower are not the same oils.

Same base oil, but different add packs is what Valvoline told me in an email. The sodium and calcium levels are basically the same as Synpower, so I am not sure what else is different in the add pack. Recent VOA on NAPA Dexos 5W-30 is located in the VOA forum. I am using the NAPA syn now, and I plan on buying more of it.

Pretty good stuff for the money I think, and I don't have to go to Walmart, or give Amazon my money when NAPA is just right down the street from me. It's a win win for me.

Its cheaper because it has a lighter add pack than your typical synthetics (Valvoline, Pennzoil M1 etc.) and they can sell a boatload of it in bulk. You know shops are buying as much of it as they can to reduce their own cost and most people are buying a case where they might have only bought what they needed for an oil change. It's volume that is still driving in profits for the reduction in cost

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Same base oil, but different add packs is what Valvoline told me in an email. The sodium and calcium levels are basically the same as Synpower, so I am not sure what else is different in the add pack. Recent VOA on NAPA Dexos 5W-30 is located in the VOA forum. I am using the NAPA syn now, and I plan on buying more of it.

Pretty good stuff for the money I think, and I don't have to go to Walmart, or give Amazon my money when NAPA is just right down the street from me. It's a win win for me.

thumbsup2.gif
Same here

I thought Virgin Oil Analysis (VOA) showed it was Not the same as Valvoline?
(shrug)
I will give it a try. I like M1 but don't like mail-in rebates to get a refund. Too many times I have seen the rebate get rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back