Post your winter tire/wheel setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
See the Charger?

The cop car being nailed by the plow truck? JESUS!

I'm running Hankook winter iPikes on 16" Subaru alloys I got from a guy in my car club. I used to run all seasons on my old Outback and that went fine in the snow. The snows are a huge improvement in control. Turns, stops and acceleration are all more certain. I'm a convert. I get to save my nicer wheels as well.

I think it's pretty easy to identify why that happened. Looks like 2 reasons.

1) The plows aren't out. 2) The plows that are out are driving around with the blade down and just spreading salt on an overcast day.

Why didn't the plow driver drop the blade?

Well I waited too long.. have to put the winter sets on today at 22F and snowing.

The xice xi2 with 6/32" went on the 2010 accent this will be their... 6th winter.

The blizzak ws-80 went on the 2015 forester this will be their 3rd winter they look like new.
10/32nds

I treated the lugnuts and axle nuts with boeshield t-9 as per my normal method.
REALLY helps with the rust.

on the left 225/60r17 H-rated blizzak ws-80, on the right 235/55r17 H-rated Michelin premier 6/32 tread
download_20161208_140711.jpg

You can feel the tread flex in the clutch.. its a different feeling.
I expect to lose about 1 to 1.5 mpg from just the tires and of course additional lose in MPG from winter.

I'll see your Montreal, and raise you a double pileup on I90
first one was lake county near painsville,oh 50car+ 15semis, second one was near the border about 20miles from erie PA.
Ashtabula is supposed to get 12-24" tonight.
50car
http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/i-90-eb-a...ident/366410738

75car
http://www.whio.com/news/local/car-pileup-near-ohio-pennsylvania-border/kocHVBq9tOazYWSPkfXzbK/

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Quebec does

They require 3PMSF. Several A/T tires meet this nowadays.

Yup, the snowflake designation. You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the bald junk we have folks rolling around on here in Ontario, particularly in and around the GTA. These are the folks sliding into others and ending up in the ditch.

From Montreal today...

Missed this thread from earlier.

Toyo C/T 35/12.50R20 on Fuels. Surprisingly these tires are pretty good. They're the best tire I've used so far. Has the 3PMSF as well. Put 7,000KM on them since mid October and I've only lost 1/32 of tread. They start off at 19/32, so I'll have plenty of tread for a long time.

U6DEZvR.jpg

Took this pic in the spring when I got my new bfg sport comp2 195/55R15. The winters are Yokohama iG52c 185/65R15, and down to 7/32 after 3 winters and 40-50k km. I do find it interesting how similar the tread patterns are, and even the land to sea ratio. At 7/32 the winters aren't even than squirmy anymore.

2014 Camry-steel wheels/michelin x ice3..
2006 Corolla-steel wheels/Perelli Carving Edge..
2006 Accord-alloy wheels/Michelin x ice 2..

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
My first winter on dedicated snows; 215/65R16 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on 16x6.5 Anzio Turn alloys.

How are they in slush and deep snow?

This will be the winter tire setup for our family minivan, an '04 Honda Odyssey. Haven't put them on yet because we were contemplating getting a new van, but we're going to keep it a while longer. Had our first significant snowfall with challenging driving conditions yesterday, about 3-4" with steady 0 degree temps throughout the day. The brand new Michelin Defenders that are on it now did excellent on the mostly packed snow. They don't use much salt here, just sand and sunshine with a bit of liquid magnesium chloride if the temps and conditions are right for it.

Winter tires that will go on next weekend are studded Goodyear Ultragrip Winters. I chose a tire more suited for deep or packed snow versus ice, as our rural area doesn't get plowed very consistently in winter. Hope the studs help when we do encounter ice. Weird climate here, the snowstorms can be severe but most of the time it's mild winter weather with dry driving conditions. Curious to see how the studs fare, and how the winter tires compare to the Michelin Defenders that are on now...

20161218_111425.jpg

20161218_111454.jpg

Man that is overkill for Co. Springs, I mean studs.
You know very well you are driving mostly in dry here. What I would do is get some really good winter tire that has a balance of good snow, ice performance.
I have on BMW Blizzak DM-V2 and that tire will go thru anything, and has good ice stopping performance. But lateral ice grip is very weird as they hold road like nothing, and then suddenly without any warning loose grip.

Car-Charger Scat Pack
Pirelli Sottozero Serie II-235-45-20-Purchased them from Tirerack this spring for $68 per tire on closeout no lie.
Wheels are Hellcat/SRT replica wheels from OE Wheels. They are 20 inch and 9 inches wide.

Car did pretty [censored] good in our two recent 6 inch snow events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back