0W20 to 5W30 causing CEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Running 5w30 should not cause any issues. There should be a diagnostic procedure for the switch. Did the mechanic perform that test?

This. He should have performed the OEM specified diagnostic tree tests and fixed your car correctly the 1st time. No room for guessing.

Originally Posted By: avacado11
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Was the code P2646 ? If the oil pressure sensor is not working right, It'll effect the VTEC variable cylinder management system. See James Danner video.

I believe so. Could the sensor be effected by slightly thicker oil? I mean maybe its just a honda thing but ive never had issues running a slightly thicker oil in any of my cars except thing one.

What was the actual code?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Running 5w30 should not cause any issues. There should be a diagnostic procedure for the switch. Did the mechanic perform that test?

This. He should have performed the OEM specified diagnostic tree tests and fixed your car correctly the 1st time. No room for guessing.

Exactly. Do the work and stop the guessing.

Originally Posted By: jarad248
vvt timing relies on whatever oil weight your engine calls for. it is mission critical !!

Yes previous and most current generation VVT systems like this one rely on oil pressure (all electronic will be the new norm) but the VVT really isn't that sensitive to viscosity changes at all. The exact same engine in other parts of the world that is spec for 5w30, 0w40, etc are all using the wrong oil?
lol.gif

The engine probably just has a bad sensor.

P2646 apparently could be triggered by oil pressure being too low.
But running higher viscosity actually tends to make oil pressure higher.
So no way is 5w-30 causing this code.
In fact it would take oil of too low viscosity to trigger it.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Honda has an extended warranty for oil consumption in the '11 Accord w/the 2.4. It is now 8 years and 125k miles. We received a letter from Honda in August of last year for the '11 in my sig. IIRC, in order to qualify for the repair, consumption must be greater than 1 quart in 1000 miles.

That's nice to know. I'm pushing 1qt per 1k now. The last time I did 0W20 it went from high to low(dip stick) in about 3 weeks. How do the dealers test this? Do they charge you for a oil change to verify it's consuming?

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Honda has an extended warranty for oil consumption in the '11 Accord w/the 2.4. It is now 8 years and 125k miles. We received a letter from Honda in August of last year for the '11 in my sig. IIRC, in order to qualify for the repair, consumption must be greater than 1 quart in 1000 miles.

That's nice to know. I'm pushing 1qt per 1k now. The last time I did 0W20 it went from high to low(dip stick) in about 3 weeks. How do the dealers test this? Do they charge you for a oil change to verify it's consuming?

At BMW, when this way (and still is) a huge issue, wed open a consumption case, record mileage. Fill to exactly recommended fill, and schedule the client in exactly one month or 850 miles to check it an establish a trend. If it was low, wed fill to spec, and note it. 850 mi later we checked again and if it was more than 1 qt low, they'd open a case.

I siding with what is in his owners manual. you are the one out on a limb here, not me.

Thinner oil isn't gonna get you this coked up ring situation either so I am far more correct than you realized...

I believe so. Could the sensor be effected by slightly thicker oil? I mean maybe its just a honda thing but ive never had issues running a slightly thicker oil in any of my cars except thing one.

No. The computer opens and closes the Rocker Arm Oil Control Solenoid based on the information it receives from the rocker arm oil pressure switch. If the oil pressures switch is not reading right, the variable cylinder management system will be effected. Watch the first 5 minutes of this Video

P2646

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: jarad248
vvt timing relies on whatever oil weight your engine calls for. it is mission critical !!

Yes previous and most current generation VVT systems like this one rely on oil pressure (all electronic will be the new norm) but the VVT really isn't that sensitive to viscosity changes at all. The exact same engine in other parts of the world that is spec for 5w30, 0w40, etc are all using the wrong oil?
lol.gif

Not only that, but cold 0W20 is most likely thicker than say hot xW40 (think 0F and 200F) (I can't properly compare them but I know hot 5W30 drained faster than cold 0W20). Yet the engine "must" work properly regardless of oil temperature. Even if I'm wrong on my comparison oil thickness changes quite a bit over temperature.

Yup I got one of these issues again
mad.gif
Oil was changed to 0W-20. Drove home and the light came back on. Drove back to the shop and the light turned off. Drove home and it came back on, went back and it turned off. Has happened 4 times already. There doesn't seem to be a cycle that warrants this, it just comes on whenever it wants to.

I hate cars like this.

My mechanic said that without him double checking the code, he doesn't want to replace a sensor then have it be another issue. Guess I'm gonna wait until it stays on for good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back