Thoughts for your lottery winnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve - a couple thoughts...

First, gyroscopic effect on bearings is pretty real when you've got a moving airplane and the motion creates precession that adds load. Clearly, there is less in a power plant.

Next, airlines, engine manufacturers and airplane builders have come up with more detailed and precise calculations of required takeoff performance. So, thrust can be reduced much further than it used to be reduced. This benefits the airline economically with increased engine life.

So, consider the thrust reduction, and if the power isn't needed for second segment single engine climb (sea level, flat terrain, light weight airplane all reduce the power requirement for climb following a failure), then its simple F=MA where we've reduced F to the minimum needed. A got a lot smaller as a result.

We don't nurse bad engines. We replace them.

But turbines are happy steady state, and we operate them in stop/start, heat/cool cycles. So, whatever we can do to reduce the amount of time that they're at maximum stress, which is maximum wear, and maximum potential for failure, we do for economic reasons.

Take off with the potential for wind shear, or on a short runway, or where there is rising terrain, and we will use the full rated power available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
DeepFriar said:
Ah, but the long range was 'your' standard of comparison. You can't reverse field on me. But back to takeoffs.
grin.gif
In the interim I have found pilot reports of the 752 with a load out of 220 pax taking off in around 4,000 feet after a 12-13 second takeoff roll (85 degrees, sea level). Anybody who has been on a noise abatement max performance takeoff from John Wayne (me, many times, I still don't think they were safe!) would not argue the point.

Quote:
Hahahah, the race is on! I'll beat ya there! Also, remember the takeoff roll is rather short, it's the requirement for stopping an aborted takeoff that necessitates a long runway with a heavy G650.

Food for thought though - the runway at John Wayne is only 5700 feet. And that's FAA Part 121 ops compared to your Part 91 (you said all private, no charter 135, so looser requirements). The 752 is a screamer for what it is. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Steve - a couple thoughts...

First, gyroscopic effect on bearings is pretty real when you've got a moving airplane and the motion creates precession that adds load. Clearly, there is less in a power plant.

Ahh...no, I didn't mean everyone ignores that (from calcs), but everyone ignores gyroscopic effect (to their detriment) when working in the fields of dynamics.

I hadn't considered what happens to those fans when you pitch up, but it's massive...

I'd buy a turn-key L-39 Albatross for fun, a new loaded Mooney Ovation or whatever their newest turbo single is, and then an already built Rotorway kit 'copter because I've always thought they were a cool "fly out of your backyard" machine. On the ground I'd get the newest fastest Corvette, and a new Ducati Panigale 1299 R Super Legerra motorcycle.

Between the Rotorway and the Panigale I'd probably get myself killed within the first year so I plan to take any lottery prize in the lump sum instead of the annual payments thing so my heirs will have something left over.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I'd buy a turn-key L-39 Albatross for fun, a new loaded Mooney Ovation or whatever their newest turbo single is, and then an already built Rotorway kit 'copter because I've always thought they were a cool "fly out of your backyard" machine. On the ground I'd get the newest fastest Corvette, and a new Ducati Panigale 1299 R Super Legerra motorcycle.

Between the Rotorway and the Panigale I'd probably get myself killed within the first year so I plan to take any lottery prize in the lump sum instead of the annual payments thing so my heirs will have something left over.

LOL I like your choices and your enthusiasm! Better get that burial plot too while you're so flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back