Oil For Upgraded 5.3 Vortec

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBJ

I just put aluminum heads,228/228 600/600 112 LSA cam and 46 lb injectors in my 5.3. It's out of a 2001 Silverado that had 120k miles and is now in my 72 C10. No racing just cruiser and local car shows but I like to light em up every now and then. I'm use to old classic's so this is my first Vortec/LS engine with performance. What oil do you guy's recommend?

Thanks

If forget how many times some owner asks which oil to use!

For the record this is what I would do in the US:

1/ Decide which major brand (Mobil, Castrol, Shell/Penn or Liqui Moly) engine oil company has the most special offers in Wallymart.

2/ Use that oil companies web site oil finder guide page to see which oil they think is best. If it says something Iffy, like an Xw20, look at the German or UK version of the web site to see if they still recommend a thin oil.

3/ Cross check the "Best" oil in both API/Acea spec terms with the owners manual (The most common, but least read book in the world).

4/ If it's a dripper, thin about using an HM oil or stop leak additive, IF the leak is beyond economic repair.

5/ Give up trying to extend the engines life and just use Mobil 1 0w40 (A3/B4) cos it's the cheapest brand in the USA.

Last edited:
Great looking truck! 0-40 of your choice.
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Welcome to BiTOG. I would use Rotella T6.

Nice C10! Rotella 5w40 is a great choice for Ease of availability and price. Don't use old flat tappet cam logic with these newer motors as they really aren't very picky on oil at all.

Thanks for the replies, I know it's a tired question. I spent the first half on my career working on rotating equipment in the petrochemical industry all over the world so I research and read but I still like opinions for user's. I used Texas Speed components and the estimate around 475hp at the crank. Currently using Valvoline 0W40 Premium and was thinking of switching to M1. Used Amsoil in all my 60's carbureted stuff. Thanks for the compliments.

Originally Posted By: GBJ
Thanks for the replies, I know it's a tired question. I spent the first half on my career working on rotating equipment in the petrochemical industry all over the world so I research and read but I still like opinions for user's. I used Texas Speed components and the estimate around 475hp at the crank. Currently using Valvoline 0W40 Premium and was thinking of switching to M1. Used Amsoil in all my 60's carbureted stuff. Thanks for the compliments.

M1 0w-40 Euro.
M1 5w-40 Delvac 1.
M1 5w-40 TDT.
Would be the 3 M1 oils I would run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back