Didn't Even Know These Existed (VW Passat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep... They're monsters, and rare as unicorn farts.

That one is right in my "buy-it-just-on-principle" range, if a VCDS scan goes well.

The only Passat cooler than this one would be a Blue 4Motion W8 6speed wagon. Which they actually made as well.

Now that, my friends, is a bad [censored] little motor. If the W8 was more reliable and I knew the history of this car, I would be driving it home today. Considering the blacked out VW badge it probably has seen better days.

Made during the time that VW was trying to move way way way up-market.

If you find another one, you'll have both they made in the same spot.
wink.gif

It must be pretty tight under the hood.
That would be a nice car to buy if you were a VW mechanic....otherwise, I wouldn't.

BIL had one he loved it for his daily driver. Had a really nice sound quad tipped exhaust. I liked to drive it too.

I drove a then brand new Phaeton from Las Vegas to San Diego and then to Katy, Texas. I have no idea what happened to those cars but I'd have to say it was the nicest luxury car I've even driven. One thing I really liked was that it was an anonymous car. No one knew what it was and it did not attract any undue attention. For me that is priceless.

Because it disappeared from the market it would be a no-go for me but other wise I'd really like to own and drive one. I've owned several luxury cars of the past years and none of them compare to the Phaeton. It appears that there's a lot more to success in the market place than just a good car.

I recall that there was a W8 Passat.
I saw one offered for sale in Cincinnati for really low bucks.
I asked for some advice here and based upon what I learned passed on the Passat.
This was a rare and costly VW.
IIRC, this car was intended as a test bed for components of the Phaeton to come, another rare and costly VW that can be bought today for really low bucks.
These cars were a little like what it would be if GM allowed Chevy to bypass Cadillac and build its own new V-12.
VW had and has its own upmarket division which would have been a more logical venue for these platforms.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
RUN, RUN REALLY FAST AWAY

seriously, that is one of the worst engines in the world to fix

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510

https://totallythatstupid.com/2013/03/05/2003-volkswagen-passat-w8-hilarious-or-hand-grenade/

I'm sure you realize you posted two different engines in your links there...

Maybe not. I've been around VW for quite some time and have never heard of a W8 failing in the way the article describes, either.

Do you have any real-world experience or just click-bait anecdotal junk?

the engines are virtually identical, if you want a mechanic's view contact these guys

http://www.eurowerk.ca/

this is my mechanic and a former factory vw mechanic, he detests that engine

almost any maintenance on that engine requires removal, this is why they are so cheap

Last edited:
I am very familiar with both engines, and to say that the W8 and 4.2 V8 (TSI or FSI) are similar is flat out wrong.

They are completely different designs; your "mechanic" lied to you.

I am also very intimate with what work requires engine removal on European cars, having performed many of the services myself.

you are partially correct and I am partially wrong

the cylinder arrangements are totally different in the w8 and audi v8

however the rear engine, ridiculously expensive to repair timing chain systems ($5000) are virtually identical and even share part numbers (the plastic tensioners and guides)

see for your self, thanks for helping me clarify this point

http://thecarhobby.blogspot.ca/2011/10/rant-about-vw-group-timing-chains.html

Last edited:
Son! I didn't know there was such a thing. I have an '03 1.8T Passat (auto, FWD) in the shop right now and I take note of it being different (in a good way) and something I'd own - let alone that beast. What's fuel mileage like, at best? 1/4 mile?

they ARE beautiful cars, just set $5000 aside to pull the engine when the timing chain goes

maybe you can get it for a steal, personally I wouldn't buy one

Quote:
The W8 motor itself has a 85%+ failure rate due to metal from the camshaft adjuster(s) finding its way into the oil pump, which then grenades, sending shrapnel throughout the engine.

Wow. No kidding eh?

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
you are partially correct and I am partially wrong

the cylinder arrangements are totally different in the w8 and audi v8

however the rear engine, ridiculously expensive to repair timing chain systems ($5000) are virtually identical and even share part numbers (the plastic tensioners and guides)

see for your self, thanks for helping me clarify this point

http://thecarhobby.blogspot.ca/2011/10/rant-about-vw-group-timing-chains.html

Did you even read the article you posted?

W8 chains:

V8 chains:

The only thing the two systems have in common is that they are on the rear of the engine.

MAYBE the tensioner guide between the cam sprockets is shared. Maybe that ONE component has commonality between the two systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back