New style Fumoto valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone purchased and installed the new style Fumoto vavle? It looks like a good idea, that way you can position the valve either down or side to side and not have to worry about it tightening up with the release lever down.

New style Fumoto valve.

Between some horror stories and not getting a straight story if I need adapters or not for my cars, I've passed.

I just put new magnetic drain bolts in my cars properly torqued at their first changes.

Looks like it'll take up space that is needed on many vehicles. A lot of times the drain plug is fairly deeply recessed.

In ~15yrs of following these things, I've yet to read of a Fumoto horror story. I've had them on a few of my vehicles. Never a problem.

I am glad they are improving on the idea but I have a gold plug on there and it's got a really powerful magnet on there which is I need for this iron throwing gm engine

I have used the fumoto valve in the past on my trucks with nary a problem, but have a gold plug on my Honda. Never heard of any horror stories using the fumoto.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I have used the fumoto valve in the past on my trucks with nary a problem, but have a gold plug on my Honda. Never heard of any horror stories using the fumoto.
Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Between some horror stories and not getting a straight story if I need adapters or not for my cars, I've passed.

I just put new magnetic drain bolts in my cars properly torqued at their first changes.

Horror stories? Care to elaborate?

I recently picked up an EZ valve, which is basically just a fumoto valve but the hose fitting can be removed and replaced with a flat protective cap. That made sense to me, so i went that route.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
What is this Gold plug you guys are talking about? Thank you!

Just a high quality after market drain plug with a high powered magnet to attract ferrous metals in the pan. It's strong enough to hold a wrench on the end of the plug.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Is really that difficult to remove the drain plug?

On some vehicles it is unless you like hot oil all over the place.

I started using a Fumoto because the Mazda 3 I owned had a recessed, rear-facing plug that was a PITA to get at as it was oriented toward the center of the car. Having limited jack and support items to work with it was safer, cleaner, and faster using a Fumoto.

The only horror stories I hear are usually the hypothetical ones or the the off-roading example mentioned earlier. My valve has a clip lock and is above a open cowl that protects it fairly well. My take with my current vehicle is that if something gets up there it'll take the oil pan along with the Fumoto.

Fumoto and long life full synthetic filter allows me to drain directly into a disposal jug and not deal with handling, smelling or cleaning the drain pan.

It also becomes possible to reach under some cars to flip the lever to drain without lifting the car.

So for some people, the Fumoto is worth it for the time and effort it saves.

Besides, if you get all your oil for free after rebate, you have to spend your savings on your oil changes somehow.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Is really that difficult to remove the drain plug?

Yes. It is easier to not to have to remember what size wrench I need and just go under it an turn the valve.
Also on my truck, at some point in the past the plug was cross threaded, and I was worried about it eventually stripping out totally. I don't have to worry about that now.

The new Fumoto is interesting, but their standard one seems to work fine for me.

I've have the Fumoto valve (old version) on three different car of mine presently. One with adapters (Volvo) to get it to fit correctly. ALL have been fantastic and well worth the investment. All are basically protected from "bad stuff" happening by either their location or underbody panels.

Last edited:
The original Fume valves left a bit too much used oil behind and in some cases they were partly responsible for overfilling incidents at Iffylubes. The overfills would not have been enough to cause any direct damage, BUT if you keep the oil level too high for long enough it can be a factor in the blocking up of a crank case vent or valve. The other big factor is too long an OCI for the amount of active detergents in the oil.

I've got a magnetic drain plug and Pela oil change pump, but due to the hassle of getting the old oil disposed of and a lack of interest in getting under my cars, they are still in the basement!

I installed the new style valve on my wife's new CR-V. The old style valve would not fit because the exhaust plumbing prevented it from threading on. I would have had to buy and extender, but found the new style and used the previous one on another car. It sticks down a little bit, but I've been installing these on all types of cars and trucks for 25+ years I think, and never had an issue, even on a car that drove northern Minnesota gravel roads most of its life.

I like the new style so much that I replaced the old style with a new one on my daily driver. Instead of the oil shooting back, then down, it now goes straight down.

What I like is that I can come home from a trip just off the interstate and pull in the driveway. Shut off the car and drain the nicely mixed hot oil and not burn my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back