Fuel Diaphragm Pump Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a Troy Built wood chipper and vac that isn't pulling fuel. I pulled the fuel supply diaphragm off and disassembled it to inspect the rubber and spring within, and while they are in good shape, there is a decent amount of oil inside the assembly. Will excessive oil intrusion cause the diaphragm to not pull fuel?

I can get the engine to run with some starting fluid, but its not getting gas to the carburetor. Yes it has gas in it.

Replace diaphragm with new one... And wipe oil residue away..

When diaphragm gets old...it becomes less elastic... And that causes your problems... It is not pumping gas anymore

Yes. If there's enough oil on the 'vacuum/pulse' side of the diaphragm, the diaphragm won't move full stroke and it won't pump correctly. You could try cleaning the breather element on the engine, or replace the air cleaner element. If the engine is really worn out, you'll get more blowby than vac-pulses to hose that powers the fuel pump.

Last edited:
I've ordered a new diaphragm and will install it tomorrow. I think this thing may have been tipped over on it's side and that's where the oil came from. Thanks for the advice.

Red, that could very well be. Tip it, over fill it, etc, and you could get oil in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back