MC 0w vs 5w

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading about the SS MC 0w20 oil for hybrids.
I don't own any MC oil except the new FF in my C-max so its just a question.
They mention it was designed to cope with low temp oil gelling of Hybrids.
I can't see it being any different than their 5w20.
Can you?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Thanks but the obvious was not the question..........

Q: " ... I can't see it being any different than their 5w20.
Can you? ..."

A: Cold Weather Start viscosity is the only difference.

What's to object? He addressed the question directly.

Special additives to reduce oil gelling........
Use 0w20 and move on was not answering the question........
No objection either and I thanked him.

I don't know what this low temp gelling issue is about but I think a 5W-20 can handle cold as well as 0W-20. The only difference is one being synthetic and the other a blend.
If gelling (sludge?)is occurring, maybe the oil needs to be changed sooner or the gas engine is not being used enough.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
The only difference is one being synthetic and the other a blend.

I thought they were both synthetic blends. I ran an interval of it in the Matrix and won't do that again. Have full synthetic in there now, 0w20. I'm glad because it's freezing out there folks.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Special additives to reduce oil gelling........
Use 0w20 and move on was not answering the question........
No objection either and I thanked him.

"Gelling" and "Low Temperature Gelling" aren't anything to do with sludging, and certainly not that 0W or 5W flow better at 0F (you can't make that distinction, they are the tests at -30 and -40Fs to differentiate them.

Gelling in oils is akin to the same problem in diesels, but more specific and much worse.

During the 80s there were a spate of engine failures at apparently sane temperatures for the oils of the day and they found that at specific cooling rates, wax crystal formation was promoted, causing the oils to fail to flow up the pickup tube...it's a part of the reason for the "don't store oil in a cold garage" story.

The oil then developed a "memory", and it's "W" characteristics were compromised severely at even "normal" temperatures, and the memory could not be reset until the oil was heated to 80C.

Some previous discussions.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4019886/Re:_low-temperature_oil_gellin
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3999169

So...WAG hat on now.

Maybe they are starting to notice that in some locations and duty cycles that the hybrids aren't getting the oil warm enough to reset the memory, and over time are developing waxy gels, accumulating in service...going to a 0W whch SHOULD have less waxy constituents, and probably more defensive additives would help.

Another great paper by Selby, one of the best researchers IMO on low and high temperature rheology

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.savantgroup.com/media/SBT-SAE-922287.pdf

If he'd have had his way, the "W" ratings would have looked VERY different.

selby%20proposed%20W%20ratings.jpg

disclaimer : this, as always is my presentation of somebody else's work, using charts cherrypicked from papers that may or may not be as fresh as yesterday's bread.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
The only difference is one being synthetic and the other a blend.

I thought they were both synthetic blends. I ran an interval of it in the Matrix and won't do that again. Have full synthetic in there now, 0w20. I'm glad because it's freezing out there folks.

I stand corrected. I'm seeing from google pictures and Amazon that MC 0W-20 is a blend. I went to the Motorcraft website and 0W-20 is not even listed but they have a full synthetic 5W-20. A 0W blend and a 5W synthetic. I thought it would have been the other way around.

I'd think this hybrid oil application would have to deal with sludge from build up of moisture. Maybe that is its claim to fame.

In bad(er) old days, I thought the further apart the numbers were, the more the oil had been monkeyed with; and as a result, not as apt to last as long (whatever they did to make the oil less viscous over the temp range was quicker to wear out). Today I'm not sure if it is as true, although recently I looked at some oils and did see that NOACK for a particular brand did go down as the split decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back