2017 Subaru WRX STI top-off oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted and for good reason, I found an oil/filter that I liked for my previous cars and stuck with them. Now, after losing 2 cars in the flood in August, I have a question about my new one. My dream finally came true and I purchased a new STI, but now I have some questions. I've heard that some of the Subaru engines have minor issues with burn-off. I'm fine with that, but my question is what should I use to top-off the factory fill? It's currently halfway to the "Low" mark. My current specs are:

2.5L 4cyl turbo
3,000 miles currently
NOT a DD - weekend car and maybe once or twice during the week
I drive fairly conservatively. I'll push it on occasion but mostly just a spirited driver
Planning for 5K OCIs and top-offs as needed

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I know this engine is relatively old as dirt but I could not find anything in the Search function. What do you recommend to top-off factory fill and for use in the future? I'm also a big fan of P1 filters... are those as good or better than OEM? Thank you for any input!

Its almost time for a change anyways. Shorter when its new to get manufacturing residues out. Are you sure the factory fill is something different from motor oil? Many new models don't use break-in oil anymore

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its almost time for a change anyways. Shorter when its new to get manufacturing residues out. Are you sure the factory fill is something different from motor oil? Many new models don't use break-in oil anymore

I'm not sure if it's different, but either way I'd like some recommendations on what's good to use. I didn't hear anything about changing it early. Dealer just said "see ya at 6K!" but I'm going at 5K.

Wouldn't you just want to top it off with Subaru branded oil at the proper weight? Probably your best bet at replicating what it came with.

Plus, half way to the low mark doesn't mean you need to add any oil. There's a good chance it won't drop below the low mark before you change it.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
Plus, half way to the low mark doesn't mean you need to add any oil. There's a good chance it won't drop below the low mark before you change it.

I'm with you... I just wanted to keep it tip top. I'm a little OCD when it comes to that. I'd still like some suggestions on what to use at 5K... or when the OCs are no longer free.

Last edited:
People seem to mix oils on here all the time with no ill affect so you could probably put almost any proper weight oil in it. But if it was my car and i really wanted to top it off with the factory fill still in it I'd just go pay an arm and a leg and get a single quart of subaru 5w-30 from the dealer.

Last edited:
Pennzoil, Castrol, Mag1, etc... any major brand of 5w-30 full synthetic would work great. Just one thing to note as I said in the message I sent you, a lot of Subaru users don't like Mobil oils for one reason or another.

Change the oil and filter mow. You can top off with any oil that makes you feel like you are doing the best for your vehicle.

I would change the oil now. Lot's of break-in metal floating around. It's not going to ruin anything, but best get it out sooner than later since the break-in process is now complete. I'm a big fan of WIX XP filters; synthetic media, wire mesh backed. As for oil I'd consider Castrol EDGE 0W-40 or M1 0W-40 since it's not a daily and you aren't trying to eek out MPG.

just top it off with anything that is same spec if you're not changing and you are getting your 5k change done by the dealer.. I assume middle is about a half quart.
if you that's less than 10% of the total capacity so isn't really going to matter.

Read the warranty about top up oil. Even if it has FF you can top up with a fully approved oil (Your local stealer will have some). DO NOT USE A NON OEM FILTER unless you want to invalidate the warranty.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I would change the oil now. Lot's of break-in metal floating around. It's not going to ruin anything, but best get it out sooner than later since the break-in process is now complete. I'm a big fan of WIX XP filters; synthetic media, wire mesh backed. As for oil I'd consider Castrol EDGE 0W-40 or M1 0W-40 since it's not a daily and you aren't trying to eek out MPG.

What do you think an oil filter does ??

Please read the Suby initial and extended warranty terms, as it's this years model.

The break in process is complete when the oil consumption stops increasing. That can vary a lot with engine type from 1000 miles for a small petrol car, to 100K miles for a good TDI, like wot I ave got!

Last edited:
UltrafanUK Read the warranty about top up oil. Even if it has FF you can top up with a fully approved oil (Your local stealer will have some). DO NOT USE A NON OEM FILTER unless you want to invalidate the warranty. [/quote said:
The use of a non OEM filter will not void the warranty. If it did they would have to provide that filter for free under the terms of the Magnusson Moss warranty act.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
What do you think an oil filter does ??

The filter will catch most but not all. That's why we get wear metals in our UOAs. Going to 5k won't do any major damage, just my preference to change it out sooner than later. Long story short, just use approved oil, regardless if you top it off or do a full oil change.

If it's halfway to the "low" mark, it isn't low, or the low mark would be farther up on the dipstick.

Don't worry about it until you get to the low mark, then top up or change the oil with a factory-approved oil.

[censored], on a brand new car I would take it to the dealer and let them top it off.

Last edited:
Should have said OEM approved filter, as they have to list more than one oil filter option in the US, IF the different companies are willing to make one. Not sure if that means you get a free filter after an expensive law suit. Odds on the OEM would not have to pay the legal costs if they won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back