FORD WSSM2C171 APPROVED OILS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 10W-40 IS sparse
laugh.gif

Valvoline and Warren made it, but Mobil, SOPUS and Chevron didn't ... Lotta little independents and small refiners ...

I suspect fees involved and not wanting to pay to play ...

This spec isn't DEXOS like, there is no fee to pay to play. Generally when a manufacturer comes out with a spec they send it out along with the testing protocol to oil blenders, who in turn test to see if what they have available complies with what is asked for.

Mobil DID have their HDEO 15-40 on the list.
I have never known of anyone who has used a 10w-40 in a diesel application, I have seen Shell Rotella 10w-40 at tractor supply though.

Thanks for posting. Ugh - all my go tos missing from 5w40. Great timing at start of winter. Anyone have any recommendations on easiest to obtain 5w40 on the approved list?

PS. I Don't want to use 15w40 - had a very bad experience with a winter cold start.

Just use a 10w-30 and call it good. Go to the HDEO UOA section and review my UOA's, no problems with my 6.7 running the IOLM out to 0%.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Just use a 10w-30 and call it good. Go to the HDEO UOA section and review my UOA's, no problems with my 6.7 running the IOLM out to 0%.

Was thinking about that, but not sure with the towing I do and bio 20 I inevitably end up with. Think manual says either 5w40 or 15w40 for that??? Thoughts?

That list appeared rather quickly...did they all actually pass some new engine test? Or did they just throw a list together based on the amount of phosphorus? I thought Ford was developing a new fired engine test.

I can usually find the Mystik JT-8 5w40 at many farm and home type of stores. I don't use it, but I see it frequently. I would side with the 10w30 recommendation.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
That list appeared rather quickly...did they all actually pass some new engine test? Or did they just throw a list together based on the amount of phosphorus? I thought Ford was developing a new fired engine test.
Dusty - my thoughts as well and in addition, it is very strange to me that none of the mainstream (Chevron, Mobil, Shell) oils meet the specification but this many "off the beaten path" oils do?

Note how Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 was on the previous list, but not this one, though, much less any other 5w-30 HDEO. And yes, if Tune It! is okay, the majors aren't? I'm wondering about the list, too, how it was cobbled together. I don't see any E6 lubricants on there. It's nice to see Ford working backwards.
wink.gif

The list is strange - some have a long detailed name, Rotella called by name, and just Mobil HDEO ?

Try a 10w-30, sample if you're concerned and make a decision from there. I do tow and haul weight every day in my 6.7. I, however, never see over 5% bio as my fuel supply is delivered here, I rarely buy fuel on the road, maybe twice a year. I also used 10w30 in my previous 6.0, without issue.
I'm aware of what the owners manual states and I've always had better UOA results with 10w-30 vs. 5w40, go figure. Everyones duty cycle is different, evidently what I'm using the truck for is easy on the engine. My suggestion is 10w-30, just because you're towing doesn't automatically mean you're severe duty, where are your oil temps at while towing? I recently towed a 12,000 GVW trailer (loaded) 140 mi. and never saw oil temps exceed 214f. I haven't concerned myself with using 10w-30 in one of my trucks for years as the UOA data has proven to me zero issues.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The list is strange - some have a long detailed name, Rotella called by name, and just Mobil HDEO ?

I hope the spec is more rigorous than the list.
wink.gif
Was this typed up by a hung over secretary on a Monday morning?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Dusty - my thoughts as well and in addition, it is very strange to me that none of the mainstream (Chevron, Mobil, Shell) oils meet the specification but this many "off the beaten path" oils do?

Yeah, I guess I was wrong. I thought that the new F1 spec was going to be tied to a new engine test, but I can't find anything specific. I was kind of joking about it just being a list of oils with the higher levels of phosphorus, but I think that's all it is...old CJ-4 oils and a few that are also CK-4. I don't know...

There are certainly some big names missing, including Motorcraft. There's no shortage of brands and names but overall, it just seems like it had to be thrown together in haste. The new Delo CK-4 oils are also rated SN, so they may never get on the list.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The 5W-40 list seems sparse.

The 0w40 list is even sparser!

That lists is nuts, it is just a list of companies some of which went bust years ago or are on the PI banned list, that paid Ford to be on such a list.
The VW oil lists are far better and are based only on real world tests.

Both Castrol and Liqui Moly are not on the list cos they don't do, "Pay to publish".

PS: Perhaps it is a banned from use list in the US!

Last edited:
Hit tractor supply today in WV. They had decent selection of approved 10w30 and 15w40. Rotella, traveller, and mystik. Also, ordered some mystik synthetic 5w40 yesterday.

i have been using traveller in most engines around the house with zero issues. it's been a fine oil. in my 04 it's my summer oil, i tow with it, never an alarming UOA. just my thoughts. i do enjoy the price point when on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back