Could this be after effects of Ceratec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i recently performed an oil service and flush using a bottle of Liqui Moly oil flush and then refilled with 5w30 Liqui Moly LL01. Then I added a bottle of Ceratec. I have driven about 450 miles and decided to look under the cap and saw this (image below). Prior to this, i had never seen any residue like this. For the last 2 oil services, i was using Liqui Moly 5w40. The oil service before this recent one, i had added a can of Mos2.

The car is a 2000 BMW 528i, with an M52tu motor. It has 143k miles and i purchased it with 137k.

That whitish looking residue wasnt there before...

Is this a normal trait of Ceratec or am i seeing an issue that hasn't come about yet? Or is Ceratec even the issue here?

I have used Ceratec before, in my 2001 740i. But that engine didnt have a "plate" or covering inside the valve cover like this one. I was able to see the cam chains once i removed the oil filler cap.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
What OCI are you running?

Since 137k, ive only run them at about 2000 miles. When i purchased the car, i wasnt sure of what the previous owner was using. I have all the records since 2002 and many oil services were done in quik Lube type of places. Very generic invoices, "Oil and filter $89". I would think he was using "the best" he could, he was an BMW enthusiast. But the best could mean something different to a lot of people.

The reason i did such short intervals was because, reading from this forum, ive read its a safe way to do a engine "cleaning". Good oil, short intervals. The reason i felt it needed a cleaning was because looking under the same cap, i thought it might be starting to build up some crud. Could purely be mental though, since i didnt have the valve covers pulled. PLUS i always like to feel like my oil and engine are in top lubricating condition.

After my last service, i am/was planning to go the full 5-7k OCI.

Car has no codes, runs great actually. Doesn't burn not one ounce of oil.

If it runs great, doesn't burn an ounce of oil, then there is no problem to fix, no reason to take risks with additives. I would drain and fill with a nice syn. Hopefully it goes away.

kind of what i was thinking, drain and refill again.

I understand the side where, if it isnt doing anything out of the ordinary don't add any additive. Then again Ceratec has gotten great feedback here and i've used it before in previous cars.

I'm just really curious as to why all of a sudden i get this substance and i was wondering if anyone had seen this as well. The only thing different i can think of was the engine oil flush i used and the Ceratec. When i check the dipstick, its normal. None of that residue on the dipstick. And like i mentioned, i have only used Lubro Moly which is debatable on the forurm, but is generally considered a good oil as well.

I noted a yellowish sludge of particles in the nether regions of the oil filter canister in our VW when I ran ceratec.

2D03B90D-5C0D-435C-AEAE-434BA625E77E_zpsb6rfqxxh.jpg

i'm no expert in this subject, in fact i came to this forum to learn...

but doesn't that kind of remind you of a salty residue? it kind of reminds me of that because i live in the mid west and see the salt residues that are left on vehicles from all the treatment we do on our roads for ice and snow.

just saying that was my impression and i'll let the expert and or more knowledgeable folks weigh in.

good day.

Interesting for sure.. i will check the filter cap next time i pull it off.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

but doesn't that kind of remind you of a salty residue? it kind of reminds me of that because i live in the mid west and see the salt residues that are left on vehicles from all the treatment we do on our roads for ice and snow.

just saying that was my impression and i'll let the expert and or more knowledgeable folks weigh in.

good day.

Hmm... never thought of that. But we havent had any salt here, and this just happened. I would argue it would have been there before. But such as yourself, im here to learn and am no expert.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Looks like short tripping mayo.
How long does the car typically get driven?

Daily driven about 10 miles local back and forth. I never let the car idle to warm up. And i do drive in the evening sometimes 40 miles round trip on the highway, various times a week. And yesterday i had actually driven about 160 miles on the highway. But yes i do drive locally about 10 miles daily.

Originally Posted By: NycDito
So i recently performed an oil service and flush using a bottle of Liqui Moly oil flush and then refilled with 5w30 Liqui Moly LL01. Then I added a bottle of Ceratec. I have driven about 450 miles and decided to look under the cap and saw this (image below). Prior to this, i had never seen any residue like this. For the last 2 oil services, i was using Liqui Moly 5w40. The oil service before this recent one, i had added a can of Mos2.

The car is a 2000 BMW 528i, with an M52tu motor. It has 143k miles and i purchased it with 137k.

That whitish looking residue wasnt there before...

Is this a normal trait of Ceratec or am i seeing an issue that hasn't come about yet? Or is Ceratec even the issue here?

I have used Ceratec before, in my 2001 740i. But that engine didnt have a "plate" or covering inside the valve cover like this one. I was able to see the cam chains once i removed the oil filler cap.

That looks to me like something is flashing off, maybe some residual flush or the after effects of the flush. I've heard of people finding sediment from Ceratec in engines that aren't driven daily which sit for days or weeks at a time, similar to these:

Is is soft and scratches off easily?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I noted a yellowish sludge of particles in the nether regions of the oil filter canister in our VW when I ran ceratec.

good day.

Hmm... never thought of that. But we havent had any salt here, and this just happened. I would argue it would have been there before. But such as yourself, im here to learn and am no expert.

Like a chemical reaction with aluminum or another metal? Very possible.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Maybe a foam, anyone have the specs? Wonder what the flashpoint is. Wonder what Ceratec does to the flashpoint of the oil when mixed.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

good day.

Like a chemical reaction with aluminum or another metal? Very possible.

yes, i was thinking more along the lines of a chemical reaction of the mix or a precipitate falling out of the mix.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Is is soft and scratches off easily?

i will check with my fingers in a few minutes

Last edited:
Yip!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
If it runs great, doesn't burn an ounce of oil, then there is no problem to fix, no reason to take risks with additives. I would drain and fill with a nice syn. Hopefully it goes away.

You can get a small amount of Mayo around the oil filler cap or dipstick, particularly when it's damp. The grey stuff looks like Moly from the previous run.

I use LM additives and talk to their R&D folks, which is why I only use half a can of anything except their flush or fuel additives. Ceratec is a better additive than MoS2 and it contains both Moly and Boron Nitride in a hexagonal form. It is coffee coloured when added, which can cause some confusion AND needs to be used every OCI, as the "Lasts 50K km part" assumes you do not change the oil (My Twingo survived a 50K km OCI).

If you use oil additives made by Liqui Moly, Castrol or Amsoil AND read the instructions, there are no real risks, other than the engine lasting longer than you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back