Why does Fram have less media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram gets lots of good marks here lately. I haven't used one in 20 years, but am thinking about buying a toughguard next time if it is on sale. I have used Wix or Motorcraft and been happy with them until all the talk about the 820S problems. I never had a problem with an OCOD in the 90's either, but then I changed my oil at or before 3k back then too.

Question is wherever I have seen a torn down Fram it has way less media than almost all the other brands. Why so much less media and why would a Fram be better than a Wix with similar efficiency but greater capacity?

Also, price is not a factor for me - I can get Wix filters for around $3 any day with a work discount - cheaper than Fram anyway.

Fram uses synthetic blend media on ALL of their filters. Synthetic media allows for depth filtering rather than only filtering on the top layer such as standard media used in a Wix filter. In theory, this allows for the ability to use less media and accomplish the same amount of filtering and load capacity. Also, the end caps are media on top of that. If you take that into account, that is worth a couple of extra pleats all in itself. On top of that, I imagine Fram has put enough money into R&D to determine how much filter media is needed to cover even the accidental missed oil change.

Less media?
Maybe Trump is getting all of it
smile.gif

At least that wouldn't tear......

Originally Posted By: slybunda
filter companies would sell you an empty can if they could get away with it.

The inward curved baseplate also saves them media. I agree it is solely to cut costs. They sell the EG for under $4 at stores what kind of profit margin is there? They make filters to make money, not for fun. You can be sure they do not like all this filter cutting and posting pictures of every detail. Wix also cuts costs on media in several ways, although saying that will get a nuclear attack around here.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
. Also, the end caps are media on top of that. If you take that into account, that is worth a couple of extra pleats all in itself. .

Please explain the method by which the end caps filter oil.

It would seem that an endcap which is permeable enough to pass oil would defeat one of the primary functions of an endcap. I.E. Force oil through the filtering media.

Fram encaps are not permeable like the ecore is.

Wix has not had tearing and I am currently using them now - just like most on here I am curious on trying a different filter if I can get better performance or value out of it.

I have a hard time believing that Fram media is so much better at depth filtering for the EG and TG filters. Ultra definitely is a depth type media.

I think it is mainly for lowering production costs.

Good news is-large delta P on an OCOD just causes the end caps to pull in, POSSIBLY reducing ADBV function-but they generally don't tear like the Purolators. I'm starting to think that cold weather short trips, causing excessive moisture, and high RPMs before fully warmed up cause a lot of filter issues.

Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. The reason we are able to use less pleats and generally outperform most of our competitors is the type of filter media we use. It is a blend of cellulose and synthetic glass microfibers and is typically much thicker in cross section than many other companies filter media. The real test of filter media is efficiency and capacity per square inch of media. Higher quality media does not need as much area in the can for performance. Most offshore made filters have a ton of paper in the can, that does not make it a better filter. I guess I kind of get a chuckle when I see guys cutting open filters and counting pleats. Think about it, the only way that would be relevant is if every filter maker used the exact same type of filter media and that just doesn't happen.
My email address is attached, always happy to answer your filter questions and I would kindly ask you refrain from using OCOD unless you mean the orange can of delight!
That term has zero basis in facts

The inward curved baseplate also saves them media.
WRONG- The W style plate we use is self centering and the easiest by far to install, that is the sole reason it is used

I agree it is solely to cut costs. They sell the EG for under $4 at stores what kind of profit margin is there?
WRONG again. We are very profitable and do make money selling filters for 4$ because we have a great workforce and state of the art manufacturing, distribution and delivery.
They make filters to make money, not for fun. You can be sure they do not like all this filter cutting and posting pictures of every detail.
Honestly? Cut away, most people on this forum know that cutting open a filter tells you nothing about how much dirt the filter removes from the oil.

Wix also cuts costs on media in several ways, although saying that will get a nuclear attack around here.
WIX still uses the same media they had in the 1980's though I am sure that will change with thier new owner

Thanks for the reply Jay.

I don't count pleats. Actual surface area is what matters to me and Fram has a smaller diameter that can pack more pleats and still have a smaller surface area.

Makes good sense about the thicker depth media.

Well stated Jay.

It's my supposition that Fram has increased quality over the last several years to a point that all of their filters are high quality..Fram Ultra is the best quality filter for less money than any of their competitors. The Fram TGs and orange cans both are very good in terms of build quality and performance. Heck, look at the orange cans made in the last three or four yrs that have been cut open here for awhile now. They've looked stout. The Fram Ultras have run up to 21k miles and look fantastic as well. Hard to beat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back