Synthetic Oil : OK At First Oil Change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last few years factory fill has been a quality blend.
No need to change it out so early. Nothing wrong to put first oil change off
until 2-3000 miles.

My 2¢

Perhaps one should consult the OEM's user manual (conveniently located in the glove compartment).
smirk.gif

At least on my new cars, it still encouraged a kind of break-in of both the engine and the brakes, etc. for the first 500 miles or so. It also (for the 2.0L turbo anyway) recommended a first oil change at 3K miles (5K OCI is the normal service interval with this engine). I changed my to M1 0W-40 at 2.2K miles and have had excellent results to date at 56K miles.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Either way matters little.

True. In a few years he'll be asking about 'high mileage oil' for that worn out thing.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'll give you my real world two cents.
Both the '97 Aersostar 3.0 and the '99 Accord ... were ultimately totaled by sons at around 175K..... the idea of early syn use as well as early FF drains being somehow deleterious is a fairy tale.

Except that your sample shows 100% correlation between early syn use and destruction by yoof.

Is it worth the risk? There seem to be A LOT of young people around these days.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Another invalid warranty expert!

Dumping the FF or OEM approved oil far too early can stop the rings bedding in correctly, it's nearly as bad as too much time at idle or severe right boot use on a regular basis.
That is absolute B.S.

Some of the stuff this guy posts, and then abandons.

The board is littered with it.

So are posts from good well educated Auto engineers and insurance investigators. OEM oils are not an issue as the dealer will stock them IF they are something special. FF oils like Honda use are very difficult to obtain and if you use something else within the first approved OCI it will invalidate the warranty if the dealer does not stamp the service book. Waste of a free first service in financial terms.

Anyone that has even a vague idea of break in wear factors will know that although modern close tollerance engines are less sensistive to bad break in use and even wrong oils, they still have ring seating and even bearing wear issues when abused. The most common way owners abuse a new engine during break in, is to ignore their owners handbook limits and recommendations.

The final result of break in abuse is high oil consumption and it is one of the main reasons why most OEM's have adopted the 1 liter per 1K mile oil consumption limit during the guarantee period in particular (Cafe thin oils are the other).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
What is the updated opinion of switching to synthetic oil anytime after 500 miles for your first oil change on a brand new 2016 / 2017 vehicle ? With some high end vehicles shipping from the factory with M1 synthetic oil - is the myth / notion still real that switching to a synthetic too early in a new engine will not allow the engine to break in properly ?

Go for it. Unless you plan on dropping that oil early too, if so then I'd use dino and wait one more OCI. Some people do more than one shortened OCI with a new vehicle, which is why I suggested dino if you fall into that category.

I feel modern low tension piston rings (designed for less friction & better fuel economy) have a harder time with break in and the early switch to synthetic may worsen the problem on some cars. I would not change the factory fill early and I'd do the first couple of changes w either a dino or semi synthetic and then switch to full synthetic. If you go synthetic early and have consumption issues, try switching back to a blend for a while and see if it improves. Follow the OLM & keep it topped off.

I made a post asking that same question if it's ok to run a synthetic in the first oil change, and i didn't get the clear yes / no answer i wanted.
A lot of engine builders that i know don't recomend using a synthetic during the first oil change and advise people not to.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I made a post asking that same question if it's ok to run a synthetic in the first oil change, and i didn't get the clear yes / no answer i wanted.
A lot of engine builders that i know don't recomend using a synthetic during the first oil change and advise people not to.

Most non OEM rebuilds are not done to the same standards in tollerance terms or using the same assembly lubes and greases as a new engine has. They often need an oil with extra Zinc, sometimes in an additive form.
Most FF oils have as much Moly as a Redline oil AND the HC synthetics like M1 0w40 that is often OEM spec when a special FF oil is not used, also contain Moly.
Some rebuilders do indeed recommend using conventional base oils, although that is often related to oil consumption rather than break in issues.

Originally Posted By: jarad248
Click on my post concerning the best oil in the world. castrol edge !!

The engineers of fastest production car in the world have figured that out.

Click here for my post and click the video in the link, good day....

Click here >>> Castrol edge info and video

This is like saying Gatorade is the best drink in the world because Michael Phelps drinks it and he's the fastest swimmer currently. There are LOTS of best oils for LOTS of different applications.

The "best" oil for one thing isn't the "best" for another.

If you have a REbuild by Bob's machine shop, then yeah they may say run conventional for the first change because that's their policy. I would debate that policy is likely outdated if their work is truw, but if they are offering a warranty then just follow their advice.

If you have an OEM fresh motor then you can switch to synthetic anytime. Lots of new cars, not just high end ones, come with synthetic from the factory.

Some OEM doesn't clean the internals, from metal shavings very well. Ford does use white gloves to assemble as the majority of them do clean well, but a few recently stuttered on it.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Some OEM doesn't clean the internals, from metal shavings very well. Ford does use white gloves to assemble as the majority of them do clean well, but a few recently stuttered on it.

That's laughable.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: jarad248
Click on my post concerning the best oil in the world. castrol edge !!

The engineers of fastest production car in the world have figured that out.

Click here for my post and click the video in the link, good day....

Click here >>> Castrol edge info and video

This is like saying Gatorade is the best drink in the world because Michael Phelps drinks it and he's the fastest swimmer currently. There are LOTS of best oils for LOTS of different applications.

The "best" oil for one thing isn't the "best" for another.

If you have a REbuild by Bob's machine shop, then yeah they may say run conventional for the first change because that's their policy. I would debate that policy is likely outdated if their work is truw, but if they are offering a warranty then just follow their advice.

If you have an OEM fresh motor then you can switch to synthetic anytime. Lots of new cars, not just high end ones, come with synthetic from the factory.

VERY TRUE!

Castrol Edge has a reputation for lowest wear rates whilst sludging the block up if you push the OCI limits. Mobil 1 tends to wear out the block, BUT leaves it real clean. Shell or PennUltra beats them both and is often cheaper, BUT nothing beats Liqui Moly Synthoil & Ceratec in a real expensive low wear & long life double act!

It's true of cheaper petrol blocks, BUT most of the debris is just Silicon sealants or lead. They both get caught in the oil filter and do not cause additional wear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - I am now thinking to do a couple of shorter OCI's using Pennzoil Conventional Yellow Label 5W20 and when I get to 5,000 miles I will consider the switch to synthetic oil best for a DI engine .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back