Butane Torch For Soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought one of these for a 18 volt battery rebuild and it's frustrating. It takes forever to heat up and I end up taking the tip off to melt the solder. Should I have bought an electric one?

I'm glad you shared this. I was thinking of getting one myself as a portable companion to my electric iron. I'll just stick to the electric version. Can you return this one?

I'm also rebuilding two Dewalt NiCad battery packs as soon as I get some cells. I bought some new tools, so my old Dewalt drill/driver is getting fresh batteries and being donated to Habitat for Humanity. I'm pleased that the batteries are still charging after 7 years, but their capacity is diminished.

Which cells did you use? I see several flavors on Amazon.

I can't return it now. I bought what I thought was an exact replacement but it wasn't. But it has the same amount of batteries but in a different configuration.

Can't tell too much from the pic but the tip on that looks really tiny. I'm no soldering expert but I've always had bad luck when I tried to use a precision tip..simply too much heat loss and lack of mass to retain heat. If you can put on a thicker tip then maybe give that a shot. Also don't forget to tin the tip before the first use and after each use to make it work better.

Everybody should have one of these:
WEL_D550_RG_FRNT_MAIN.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/WPA2-Professional-Self-Igniting-Cordless-Soldering/dp/B000ICEMYU

I paid $85 for this back in the mid 90s when I was still in the shop. It was the only butane powered soldering iron that did everything I needed it to do. The version I have is red plastic instead of blue, possibly a rebranded version from either Matco or Snap-on. Only problem is the piezo igniter takes a dump after awhile (as some reviewers noted). When I use mine I always have my cigar lighter handy to get it going. It really does work great, and I have 3 others butane irons to compare it to.

I got this back in 1995 and it still works perfectly, no leaks or defective parts and its used a lot. Made in Ireland it is the best tool of this type I have used.
PS. The Piezo igniter works first time every time even after 21 years.

Last edited:
I fixed my stereo receiver by replacing some capacitors. Used a little 35 watt iron. That's all you need for little wires.

No, but you need a wide chisel tip to do that type of work successfully. A tiny conical tip is for much finer work...and for that, you don't need a torch unless electricity isn't available.

I used a Portasol torch for years until the generator finally clogged. No joy in unclogging it and the manufacture doesn't make replacements. It was not only portable, but would lay down a lot of heat in very little time. I preferred it to my Weller electric gun as the chisel tip was larger and it was much easier to hold steady.

I gave up on my bernzomatic torch's tips for soldering, and use a 40 watt iron or 140 watt gun instead.

The torch seems to burn off the flux and then the solder does not get sucked into the wire properly until it is insulation meltingly hot.

I can do a much cleaner faster job with the 140 watt weller. I use the tips, ground to size, for the 400 watt Weller gun. Takes a second or two longer to heat up, but more thermal mass and some extra surface area have my soldering confidence much higher than the tips for the 140 watt iron.

Do remove the tips from the iron and make the parts which recess into the gun shiny copper too. Heats much faster than when they are black inside of there.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I got this back in 1995 and it still works perfectly, no leaks or defective parts and its used a lot. Made in Ireland it is the best tool of this type I have used.

Those work well when there is electricity far away I have been through a couple and i haven't used then since I retired. I'll have to fire one up and solder something tomorrow.

My butane pencil gun (Power Probe) puts everything I've used to shame. I solder frequently.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I fixed my stereo receiver by replacing some capacitors. Used a little 35 watt iron. That's all you need for little wires.

True, but try soldering something ANYTHING, even a small wire, in your car parked outside in the winter (unless you live someplace where it doesn't get cold) and you will wish you had a much higher wattage soldering gun. Yes, this is based on personal experience, and yes Maryland is one of the warmer places that still gets real winter weather sometimes, so I imagine this is even more relevant in colder climates than where I live.

Just for information, the one I posted a picture of is still available and so is its newer replacement model, both are still Made in Ireland by Olgesby and Butler.
The older one has a metal tank.

Quote:
All Portasol soldering irons are tested for two weeks before final set to ensure reliable ignition and adjustable temperature control. Made in Ireland (and proudly stamped with Déanta in Eirinn), this tool is backed by a 1-year limited warranty.

http://www.tequipment.net/WellerPSI100K....CFU9MDQodNhgA_g

https://www.amazon.com/Portasol-010589330-Super-125-Watt-Heat/dp/B003H6NN2Q

Originally Posted By: Trav

I have the same one! It's really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back