Castrol Edge and Edge HM info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jarad248
I asked The lab tech. the same thing as a "conspiracy theory" joke which we both laughed about,haha. He said no what you see is what you get.

You might want to search for some older posts by MolaKule and some other tribologists we have here on BITOG.

Quote:
Over at 540ratblog some of the best oils he tested were 20wt as far as film strength goes.

Ah, yes, 540rat.... I haven't seen his name mentioned this week yet.
lol.gif

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that old data on old oil formulations ?

long chain esters and such are yesterdays news and when combined with moisture can cause issues...

Originally Posted By: SR5
Sure lots of marketing around now days, I agree. But not everything is pure marketing, I believe BMW Racing and Castrol have a decades long history of mutual development for endurance racing. Doug Hillary was part of the Castrol team I believe and spoke about it in some posts.

OP, looks like a great oil. Wish we got it here.

Decades long and yet Pennzoil steps up and pays more money and now Pennzoil is the recommended oil for the last few years.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/05/12/pennzoil-is-now-the-recommended-oil-for-bmw-engines/

It's not as simple as BMW picking the "best" oil for their motors. Lots of oils can meet their requirements but who is most mutually beneficial monetarily and publicity wise is who is going to be the current partner.

Originally Posted By: jayg

Decades long and yet Pennzoil steps up and pays more money and now Pennzoil is the recommended oil for the last few years.

BMW .... Lots of oils can meet their requirements

Sure I agree with both those points.

But I disagree with the implied absolutism that every endorsement must therefore be a money-hungry, technically vacuous relationship.

It's easy to find negatives, no challenge there. I like looking for the positives too, harder to find, but more rewarding.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: jayg

BMW .... Lots of oils can meet their requirements

Sure I agree with both those points.

But I disagree with the implied absolutism that every endorsement must therefore be a money-hungry, technically vacuous relationship.

It's easy to find negatives, no challenge there. I like looking for the positives too, harder to find, but more rewarding.

The positives aren't hard to find though. Just because all major oils don't have an oil that carries LL01 for example, doesn't mean they wouldnt have one that meets those requirements. Virtually all major oil companies produce SOME product that could run in BMWs, Ferarris, etc and it doesn't mean that whatever company that is currently in bed with the manufacturer is making the best oil for those engines. It doesn't mean they aren't either and that's my point. It doesn't mean much.

This is a good thread - I'd also add that major oil companies are in a holding pattern in many ways during low commodity pricing and might not be willing to be the dog chasing a single car these days.
For now, the certainty of misery is better than the misery of uncertainty - they have to put money in the right places and pursuits of a P30 lube contract prospect is not a chip I'd lay.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jarad248
I asked The lab tech. the same thing as a "conspiracy theory" joke which we both laughed about,haha. He said no what you see is what you get.

You might want to search for some older posts by MolaKule and some other tribologists we have here on BITOG.

Quote:
Over at 540ratblog some of the best oils he tested were 20wt as far as film strength goes.

Ah, yes, 540rat.... I haven't seen his name mentioned this week yet.
lol.gif

Could 540 really be Dr. Haas?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Christian von Koenigsegg prefers Castrol because they pay him $$$ to say so
No way!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Yes I was involved with this product very early in its life - late 1960s. It was really a road going version of the famous Shell R30 and R40 easter based racing lubricants. My family used these in racing motorcycle. I was involved in my Career training with Castrol via BMC

The road going version was Castrol Formula R Synthetic - rated API SE. It had a 15w-50 viscosity, was red in colour and of course emitted the beautiful castor based odour in use

In the 1970s and 1980s I used/field tested the probuct in many diesel and petrol engines as it evolved and this involved hundreds of UOAs. I visited Japan, US and Europe to deal with various engine manufacturers and in the use of this product. In some small high speed diesel engines (Kubota,Isuzu etc) we ran up to 3000hrs without change

Castor oil in a 3000 hour diesel is quite surprising.

Castrol's Ti is proprietary and the amounts needed are what Castrol has settled on, no more no less. They do the formulating and test. It's a great oil no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back