Best start in cold: M1-EP 5-20 or 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, all. Sure has been a long time since I dropped in. Found a lot of interesting stuff via a search, but I'm wondering which M1-EP gets me better cold starts: 5W-20 or 30. I do understand the 5W rating but as I learned here long ago, there can be considerable differences within the 5W range.

I want to keep it 5W-20 or 5W-30 because Hyundai does not spec a 0W oil for my 2011 Sonata, 2.4 GDI engine. Yes, I know it's probably dumb not to just use 0W, but I just want to play by the book. I also learned here that Pennzoil Platinum was one of the best commonly-avaialble 5W cold weather performers, and I've used it sometimes when I DIYed, but now I take it to a Mobil quick-lube place where a friend takes care of me. He's a good guy but he does prefer that I buy from him or bring in only M1 products, and I like the M1-EP.

I live in Chicago, where 0F winter temps are common.

Many thanks, and I'll keep searching old topics.

Thanks very much for your quick reply. I do understand the very, very basics of HT/HS thanks to further reading here, and can see that the lower-numbered 2.75 of the M1-EP 5-20 gives an edge in the cold vs. its 5-30 brother

How can I find the lowest hths of all the 5W oils---look for the Product Data Sheet on each one?

Thank you.

"...use a 0W-XX, and an extra large battery."

smile.gif
I think the biggest battery is the one that's already in there, Jim. As for a 0W oil, I want to stick with 5W per the Hyundai spec.

Just a few months ago I first noticed the 0W-20 M1-EP when I purchased my usual 5-20 or 5-30. It's relatively new, I take it, or perhaps it's just not regularly carried where I shop. As stated, though, I want to stick with 5W per the Hyundai spec.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The hths of the 5w 20 is 2.75 vs 3.1 for the 5w 30.

Would that 150C test have any connection to startabiity at 0F?

Most 5w20's have a tiny cold crank advantage over their 5w30 counterparts. That's about the only thing a 5w20 can do better than a 5w30 and the difference is minuscule.

I run 5w30.

Originally Posted By: KlooksKleek
"...use a 0W-XX, and an extra large battery."

smile.gif
I think the biggest battery is the one that's already in there, Jim. As for a 0W oil, I want to stick with 5W per the Hyundai spec.

Hyundai wants a 20 weight oil in there. Makes no difference whether it's 0w or 5w. As long as it's 20 weight at op. temp. you're good.

If it were mine I would use Mobil 0W-20 and forget about it. Not that there ever would be any problem, but if there were, do you think the dealer would ever perform an oil analysis detailed enough to determine that it was a 0W-XX.

Most UOA only tell the speck of the upper number, and no dealer is going to spend a few dollars to do a UOA any way.

BTW the coldest it ever was in Chicago IL USA was -27 Fahrenheit which is really pushing it for a 5W-XX

A 0W-XX would flow better on startup on a bitter cold day like that.

HTHS has nothing to do with starting a car or oil's resistance to flow at cold temperature. It is the exact opposite in fact. HTHS is for high temp High shear rating in areas like main bearings etc... An oils resistance to flow is measured by CCS and MRV testing. The lower the CCS the "better" the cold flow will be. The lower the MRV the less resistance to starting the oil will have at very cold temperatures. A 5w whether it be 5w20 or 5w30 will be decently close in terms of cold weather performance. I like seeing CCS around 4500 or less at -30°C. I have seen Havoline at 3600 or so. It only takes 6600 CCS to pass the test standard by the way. A 0w30 will be obviously be the least resistance to cold flow conditions.

Straight up Mobil 1 5W30 is what I have in my Honda and I spend W/E's in the U.P., the Toyota runs with Delvac 1 5W40. no worries.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
BTW the coldest it ever was in Chicago IL USA was -27 Fahrenheit which is really pushing it for a 5W-XX

A 0W-XX would flow better on startup on a bitter cold day like that.

I experienced that day, Jim, not long after college. Brutal.

Doesn't the M1 0W20 AFE state : "Good for 5W20 applications" ? I believe it is a thicker 0W20 (as far as 0W20 oils go) . Conversely . 0W20 PP could not be used and makes no such statements regarding 5W20 usage.
Originally Posted By: car51
Tig1 uses M1 0w20 AFE in a 5w20 spec 2007 Focus
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back