Clearing Up Yellow Headlights - Off Bug Spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the issue with the automatic car wash is it doesn't clean the surface like handwashing, so atmospheric fallout particles remain on the surface and help to destroy it.

I think I just invented a new term.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
^I was kind of thinking that. I think that, maybe, the commercial car wash MIGHT wear off the original coating a little faster. I'll bet it has a lot more to do with simply how much sun exposure the front end of the car gets in a day. My car sits in a parking garage when I'm at work and in my garage when I'm home. And, I treat with Meguiar's headlight protectant when I wash it. I'll bet my lenses will last a long time.
Yes it is always in the sun, 3 years in Phoenix

If anybody is wondering how the headlight has held up, the bug spray worked for way longer than I expected. It started getting a little hazy recently but not near as bad as it was when I bought the car last year (original pictures above).

I decided to re-do it this morning. Took less than 30 seconds to do. Also decided to do the drivers side since it's getting a little hazy.

I still wouldn't recommend doing this to a car that is really nice. Mine, as you can see in the pictures, is a beater so I'm not worried about the bug spray messing up the paint.

mttnqx.jpg

2djtr9e.jpg

65peuu.jpg

153bu5t.jpg

dfk9ow.jpg

I used the 3M reconditioning kit to restore mine. Works very well. Then about once every 3 or 4 months I go over the lenses with Meguiar's 205 by hand and they look good as new again...

Love the idea of Off/Deet...

Fortunately I dont have any hazed lights, but if I encounter some...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back