seafoam or berryman for carb cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I know this section gets more traffic then others. I am trying to get a poorly running Bobcat to run alittle better. It has a gas engine and it seems the carb is clogged. It runs somewhat, just poorly. What would be best to run through the carb with fresh fuel Seafoam or Berrymans? Im only trying the cleaners first as it is a pain to find parts for it and when and IF you can find them you pay dearly for them. Thanks for the help.

Seafoam. It is part lube, part cleaner, part water separator/fuel stabilizer. Not a fan in my auto engines, but think its fantastic for your issues. Just blend it in and run. See what happens.

I prefer Berryman's. It's cheaper and a more aggressive cleaner. I've used it in my tractor multiple times over the years.

As others have suggested, take it off and get it properly cleaned and rebuilt. It was more than worth it on ours. If you fry the starter or strip the flywheel you surely be adding to your vocabulary. Now it starts with just a touch of the starter and a short bit of choke. Sure makes getting wood out of the woods easy.

I d try the Berryman first. That stuff just dissolves built up grime. Hard on plastic though. SeaFoam is a better stabilizer and maintenance cleaner. You need Berryman. I am thinking you have a hobby bobcat and I d try to clear it before going to a full costly carb rebuild.

Gumout multi engine treatment or total fuel system cleaner.

or the stp multi... great modern chemestry, either one much better at long term storage as well.

Seafoam has it's uses before oil changes but that is about it. 2 cycle engines.

See if you can get a copy or download of the service manual. It's often best to use Seafoam, Gameover or Berries through the brake vac line with a normal car. No idea which one is best as I've only used Seafoam.

Don't forget to read the instruction on the can about running the engine during the cleanup, otherwise warn your friends to stand well clear of the first start explosion on U tub.

Last edited:
If it is a piece of rubber hose that's clogging a jet, like a had once, no cleaner would solve the problem. Seafoam was made for dirt 2 stroke carbs, so in a 4 stroke would be even better. Let it soak.

Last edited:
Have a long successful history using Chemtool B-12. No damage, no problems, no headaches.
Sea foam, dunno. Lot of talk about it.

VW had carbs that were originally simple and later became so complicated they caused more problems than they solved. Berryman was always the spray of choice.

Evinrude 2+4. Bests tuff I have ever used. As long as the engine can start, and there isn't a mechanical reason behind the rough performance, it will amaze you at how well it cleans the fuel system and restores proper performance. LOVE the stuff.

This stuff here...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Berryman's does a better job cleaning, IMO.

+1 It is some good stuff. Before I change the spark plug I will pour a spoonful into the piston head and let is soak then run it for some time. My snowblower is over 15 years old and the piston head is spotless. I have also had good luck spray it into the air intake to clean out the carb. Plus it's cheaper

Greetings,

Long term Berryman B12 Chemtool user here.

Never tried Seafoam.

Berryman has saved me the time and trouble of disassembling a gummed up carburetor on OPE many times over the years.

Works well for cleaning automotive fuel systems as well.
I've seen it clear a plugged fuel injector minutes after pouring it into the fuel system.

It usually won't clear up foreign objects, rubber hose sheddings, rust, etc.

I recommend trying the "chemical solution" before a tear down/overhaul of the carburetor.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I prefer Berryman's. It's cheaper and a more aggressive cleaner. I've used it in my tractor multiple times over the years.

++++1

Originally Posted By: 2cool
Originally Posted By: cb_13

++++1
If Berryman's doesnt work, then I break out the tools. Works more often than it doesnt.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back